How to manage BG testing effectively when on short course of steroids

saffron15

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
When I was diagnosed in July, although bewildered I was bouyed bynan unexpected but consistent weight loss. The HCP gave me a monitor in September but I am not testing strategically. I am still having diarrhea though only one offload two weeks ago was tough to deal with. I've gone on various new meds and have no appointments nor an answer to what course and or group DN was suggesting in August. I emailed HCP he said didn't get email and later spoke to reception who left a note for her. This last fortnight I have had an appalling cold and cough plus my first ever episode of sinusitis. I've reached the conclusion I'm on my own so am seeking help from the forum. Against the background of a little bit woe is me when it is obvious many members have serious often major battles to deal with and I am being a wimp. I'm due to have a cataract op at the end of October having been referred in March. Since 2006 I have had an autoimmune disease called uvietis where the front of the eye becomes inflammed and is treated with steroid eye drops. I self refer when I have a flare last time being May 2023. I'm lucky it has never progressed beyond front of the eye and I passed a DVLA sight test this year.
I went to the ophalmology department today as a consultant who saw me when I was assessed in August said I should be checked 2 weeks before the op. I spent hours waiting after scan of my eyes before seeing baby doctor _ to be fair probably someone who is qualified in ophthalmology and trying to take next rung up the ladder. Having spent ages trying to look into back of my eyes almost impossible as both my pupils are stuck down and cataracts are on front of the eye. We joined the lady consultant who also looked. Good news no uveitis at the moment. I assumed I would be put on a course of steroid eye drops as a preventative measure but she said I was to have two week course of oral steroids 4 x 5 gms each day. I said what about diabetes. She said didn't my GP or endrocrinologist ( maybe she thinks 8m type 1 - I'm not) monitor my diabetes? She then said it was important I monitored my BG. Officially I don't have a monitor but I assume it is now important for me. I will take the steroids last week of October then op and further week. Baby doctor contributed they don't usually operate if finger prick above 20. I've also been told to contact GP if I have stomach issues.
I want to get this correct. Should I ignore waking as a test time and do before and after breakfast and same with lunch.ive been told to take tablets with food at breakfast. Any idea what spike is normal? How should I tackle testing before I take steroids? Am I realistic to treat the medical practice as considering T2 should get on with looking after themselves

When I was diagnosed in July, although bewildered I was bouyed bynan unexpected but consistent weight loss. The HCP gave me a monitor in September but I am not testing strategically. I am still having diarrhea though only one offload two weeks ago was tough to deal with. I've gone on various new meds and have no appointments nor an answer to what course and or group DN was suggesting in August. I emailed HCP he said didn't get email and later spoke to reception who left a note for her. This last fortnight I have had an appalling cold and cough plus my first ever episode of sinusitis. I've reached the conclusion I'm on my own so am seeking help from the forum. Against the background of a little bit woe is me when it is obvious many members have serious often major battles to deal with and I am being a wimp. I'm due to have a cataract op at the end of October having been referred in March. Since 2006 I have had an autoimmune disease called uvietis where the front of the eye becomes inflammed and is treated with steroid eye drops. I self refer when I have a flare last time being May 2023. I'm lucky it has never progressed beyond front of the eye and I passed a DVLA sight test this year.
I went to the ophalmology department today as a consultant who saw me when I was assessed in August said I should be checked 2 weeks before the op. I spent hours waiting after scan of my eyes before seeing baby doctor _ to be fair probably someone who is qualified in ophthalmology and trying to take next rung up the ladder. Having spent ages trying to look into back of my eyes almost impossible as both my pupils are stuck down and cataracts are on front of the eye. We joined the lady consultant who also looked. Good news no uveitis at the moment. I assumed I would be put on a course of steroid eye drops as a preventative measure but she said I was to have two week course of oral steroids 4 x 5 gms each day. I said what about diabetes. She said didn't my GP or endrocrinologist ( maybe she thinks 8m type 1 - I'm not) monitor my diabetes? She then said it was important I monitored my BG. Officially I don't have a monitor but I assume it is now important for me. I will take the steroids last week of October then op and further week. Baby doctor contributed they don't usually operate if finger prick above 20. I've also been told to contact GP if I have stomach issues.
I want to get this correct. Should I ignore waking as a test time and do before and after breakfast and same with lunch.ive been told to take tablets with food at breakfast. Any idea what spike is normal? How should I tackle testing before I take steroids? Am I realistic to treat the medical practice as considering T2 should get on with looking after themselves
I think it is probably 4 x 5mg per day and only quite short term so hopefully the impact on blood glucose will be minimal but worth checking and if you find it is going up then look to reducing your carbs a bit more if you can. There is not a lot you can do in terms of medication as it steroids are short term.
One thing to watch for is weight gain, my other half had 2 weeks of IV steroids and then oral ones for 3 months and put on loads of weight, he is not diabetic but we did keep an eye on his blood glucose and it was fine.
A finger prick of 20 would be pretty high so no wonder they do not operate if it is. 0

Back