How to help my brother who’s child has been diagnosed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bexstar001

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
My brothers son has just been diagnosed with diabetes and I was wondering what I can do to help my brother? He lives thousands of miles away and I feel helpless! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi @bexstar001. Sorry to hear about your nephew’s diagnosis. Since your brother is so far away, just being a good listener. It’s a steep learning curve to begin with, so he’ll be feeling stressed I should think. There’s also lotsa good books out there. Ragnar Hanas’s book - “Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Teens” (I think the latest is the sixth edition) is considered the diabetes bible. Why not read up on the condition so you can understand what he’s talking about? 🙂

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear about your nephew. How old is he?
The book mentioned above is recommended by many people here as being incredibly helpful (I think the term "bible" is used by some people of it) I believe the full title is "Type 1 diabetes in children, adolescents and young adults" Perhaps you could buy the book for your brother?
I would also encourage your brother to join this forum so that we can give him support directly. You don't have to be in the UK to join in, we have members in other countries too. You are also welcome to ask specific questions of us on behalf of your brother if he is not a fan of such mediums, but joining himself will I am certain be really helpful especially in these early days weeks and months when everything is so overwhelming. I know a lot of what the nurse told me at diagnosis went in one ear and out the other, so the forum here and it's wonderful members were a godsend in filling in the blanks and helping me to understand it all. It all seems impossibly difficult and scary at first, but gradually it does get easier, until, a bit like driving a car, you just get on with it without thinking apart from trying to figure out how to get to where you want to be and watching out for anything unexpected, but you don't consciously think about changing gear or indicating or looking in the mirror, your body just learns to do that when needed and you focus on reading the road signs or keeping a close eye on that stray dog at the side of the road or the idiot in the car in front! 🙄

Anyway, it is lovely that you have joined the forum to support your brother and if you have any specific questions then feel free to ask.

What a lovely post @bexstar001

Having a supportive network around you can be so important when a family is coming to terms with a diagnosis.

These are quite useful guides for things to bear in mind when having conversations around someone’s diabetes.

Diabetes etiquette card for family and friends - tips on offering advice and support
http://behavioraldiabetes.org/xwp/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/BDIAdultEtiquetteCard.pdf

Diabetes etiquette for parents - what your teen would want you to know. Tips on having positive conversations around diabetes

It's probably mentioned in one of the references already posted, but the question may be better asked to your bother & nephew. Offer your support & assistance on a regular basis but be willing to accept that it may not always be required. Be wary of crossing the helpful/interfering line! I know it's something I can be unintentionally guilty of & can actually alienate those you're trying to help...

Being supportive long term is what’s needed. Having a kid with diabetes is a marathon and having people willing to ask how it’s going long term and support you is what really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back