How to get into diabetes support role HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnydawn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello
Im currently in an office role but it isn't fulfilling me.
I love listening to other diabetics and offering support or just a listening ear.
I'd like to follow a career in this but I've got no idea how to even start!
Can anyone offer and advice or guidance please? Even just somewhere to start!
Thank you

Thank you, I don't know where - a hospital, diabetic clinic etc?
The words "volunteer role" are a clickable link where you can enter your location to see what's available via Diabetes UK.

Your GP surgery may also be able to put you in touch with local course providers for DAFNE, BERTIE, etc. I've no idea if these are provided directly by the NHS or outsourced like so much is these days.

Last edited:
I did contact them initially and they have suggested asking on the forum as well

You could investigate this sort of thing? https://www.iheed.org/courses/warwi...g4bC0rTkvMGSpIsM2ntUH7YN7ahgQkxSrrkgjKkkYYzPU

I assume, beiung T1 that the support and care your receive for your diabetes is from a hospital or clinic? That being the case, they may well have some pointers to get you going.

I don't know where you are based, but there are various NIHR units over the country, looking at different conditions. They are always looking for people on a voluntary basis, and also as employees/consultant style input. Some of those roles are relote, with meetings etc., taking place over Zoom/Teams, so could be worth look at.

I am in Leicestershire, where we have an NIHR Business Unit, looking Diabetes, and at Loughborough, looking at metabolic issues, exercise and a few other bits.

If you are running into blind alleyways, perhaps call Leicester (at the General Hospital) and ask to speak with someone in the Patient and Public Involvement Team. (I have names if you prefer, but if you would like them, please send me a message and I will forward to you.)

Hello
Im currently in an office role but it isn't fulfilling me.
I love listening to other diabetics and offering support or just a listening ear.
I'd like to follow a career in this but I've got no idea how to even start!
Can anyone offer and advice or guidance please? Even just somewhere to start!
Thank you
The forum is always looking for volunteers as well. have a look at the two roles.

You could investigate this sort of thing? https://www.iheed.org/courses/warwick-masters-diabetes?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UKI+|FB+|Diabetes+|+Warwick+|+SEPT+2023+|+LEAD+GEN+OBJ+|+LANDING+PAGE+Ver.2.1&utm_content=UKI+|FB|Diabetes+-+Ad+1+-+Commences+|+Generic+V3+|+Sept+2023+|+Apply+Now&utm_placement=Facebook_Desktop_Feed&utm_adset_name=UKI+|+FB+|+Diabetes+|+Lookalike+V+2.0&fbclid=IwAR3LEM7ix_cvdKg4bC0rTkvMGSpIsM2ntUH7YN7ahgQkxSrrkgjKkkYYzPU

I assume, beiung T1 that the support and care your receive for your diabetes is from a hospital or clinic? That being the case, they may well have some pointers to get you going.

I don't know where you are based, but there are various NIHR units over the country, looking at different conditions. They are always looking for people on a voluntary basis, and also as employees/consultant style input. Some of those roles are relote, with meetings etc., taking place over Zoom/Teams, so could be worth look at.

I am in Leicestershire, where we have an NIHR Business Unit, looking Diabetes, and at Loughborough, looking at metabolic issues, exercise and a few other bits.

If you are running into blind alleyways, perhaps call Leicester (at the General Hospital) and ask to speak with som
eone in the Patient and Public Involvement Team. (I have names if you prefer, but if you would like them, please send me a message and I will forward to you.)
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back