1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

How to get back in to Exercise

Discussion in 'Exercise/Sport' started by Jon-Manchester, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:48 PM.

1. Jon-Manchester

Jon-Manchester Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    Hi,

Since I got diagnosed with T1 6 weeks ago, i havent done any exercise beyond walking the dogs.
    I use to go on bike rides at least 3-4 times a week but I am really worried that I will get a severe hypo while I am out cycling that I am not sure how to start.
    I suspect that I am overly worried but i am struggling to take the leap and go for a ride. At the moment, if I go for a walk 30-40 minutes (starting with +7 BS) i will have hypo by the time i get home (never been a severe hypo but generally sub 4)
    I take my long acting insuling (Lantus) in the morning, so i am not sure if I should decrease it on the days I am planning to do an exercise or if I should just eat carbs while exercise? (if so how much do i decrease it by?)

I am really keen to get back into cycling so I would really welcome people's view on how i should approach this?

Any thoughts/tips?
    Jon

2. Lizzzie

Lizzzie Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hello!

I am a runner and still struggle with this.

You could look at getting an insulin pump. They only give short acting insulin (Novorapid or equivalent) but give it all the time, so you can turn the speed down when you know you're going to be exercising.

With Landis, which I think is a long acting background injection? - presumably its every 12 hours or something so when it's in, you can't change the dose? Thats a pain. Thinking back to my insulin pen days, it takes experimentation at first. Maybe Eat something short acting AND somethng medium / long acting just before going out for a cycle, take at least 50% less insulin than it needs and experiment?
    It 'feels much better to exercise when your sugars right. At least one person on here used to have a jelly baby every X miles but that's going back a few years.

3. Jon-Manchester

Jon-Manchester Member

Type 1
    Thank you Lizzzie. I think i am coming around to the fact that pumping seems to be the way to go. Yes Lantus is long acting background insulin so i take it every 12 hours, so though I can change it, it requires some planning ahead. I guess i need to take the plunge and start experimenting.
    It seems like most people who do exercise are using a pump.

4. Bruce Stephens

Bruce Stephens Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Yes, I'm the same. (Over the summer I bought an ice cream on the way back from work, but that's not so appealing just at the moment...)

It's something you should talk about with your DSNs. They'll definitely be on board with you wanting to exercise, and will (one hopes) be able to help you come up with strategies for handling it. As you noted, the basic approach is to use less insulin and/or eat more. (It is apparently possible to use anaerobic exercise to increase BG; I've not tried that, since I just walk.) You might find things like https://abcd.care/resource/exercise-strategies of value, though it is talking about using Freestyle Libre (or similar), so if you don't have one then the value might be limited.

5. Jon-Manchester

Jon-Manchester Member

Type 1
    Thank you Bruce, really interesting link you shared. So much information in that video, I watched it 3 times and I still haven’t captured it all so I will bookmark it so I can revisit it later again