how to dispose of spare unused pump supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, since I switched to an insight pump this week I now have 2 cardboard boxes and a carrier bag of unused infusion sets etc for my old combo pump. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can take them or dispose of them? I am loath to just throw them all in my wheelie bin where they will end up as landfill, but my DSN didn't feel the clinic could accept them.
MicheleJane

Don't know, Medtronic bits fit all there pumps. I am now on my 3rd pump & bits are all the same. I am like you I don't like waste. Good luck finding a home.

I and quite a few others on the forum still use combos and might be glad of these, what do you have?

Which infusion sets were you using with your Combo. As Radders says quite a few of us have stuck with the Combo.

Hi, since I switched to an insight pump this week I now have 2 cardboard boxes and a carrier bag of unused infusion sets etc for my old combo pump. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can take them or dispose of them? I am loath to just throw them all in my wheelie bin where they will end up as landfill, but my DSN didn't feel the clinic could accept them.
MicheleJane
As they are unopened then can not see why Roche can't take them back and either credit your CCG for them or just give you the replacements for your new pump.

Being tight myself I would have used the old supplies up before starting the new pump. 🙂

MicheleJane
My diabetes centre were thrilled to receive my 'old' stuff.

I and quite a few others on the forum still use combos and might be glad of these, what do you have?
Hi,
sorry I didn't realise I had some replies!
I have 1 box Accu-Chek flexlink infusion set cannulas
Rapid-D Link cannulas 6mm and 8mm (boxes are opened but cannulas still sterile
1 box Rapid-D link transfer sets
1 box Spirit 3.15ml cartridges

7 boxes of Accu-Chek Flexlink Plus infusion sets which I ordered by mistake
These are all unopened, and I will obviously throw away any boxes which have been opened. It still leaves quite a few left which I'm happy to pass onto any pumpers 🙂

As they are unopened then can not see why Roche can't take them back and either credit your CCG for them or just give you the replacements for your new pump.

Being tight myself I would have used the old supplies up before starting the new pump. 🙂
I did try to use them up but the start date for the insight kept getting postponed and I ended up having to order more combo stuff when I actually ran out of supplies.
I think Roche are naturally cautious about taking supplies back to resend to other pumpers as they cannot guarantee the bits are sterile after they leave the company. Health & safety etc which I can understand.
Although my chemist is able to recycle used needles etc in sharps bins, they don't of course deal with pump supplies. neither do my health centre.

I think Roche are naturally cautious about taking supplies back to resend to other pumpers as they cannot guarantee the bits are sterile after they leave the company.
If they told you that then they should be ashamed of themselves. In sealed individual wrapping plus a seal over the box of ten how can they not be sterile? Money grabbing springs to mind.

You would be advised though to keep your supplies because you will then have something to use when the insight goes wrong.

Which infusion sets were you using with your Combo. As Radders says quite a few of us have stuck with the Combo.
Rapid-D Link infusion set cannulas 6mm although I still have half a box of 8mm I used them with the spirit 3.15ml cartridges and the 'tails' were 50 cm transfer sets

If they told you that then they should be ashamed of themselves. In sealed individual wrapping plus a seal over the box of ten how can they not be sterile? Money grabbing springs to mind.

You would be advised though to keep your supplies because you will then have something to use when the insight goes wrong.
Roche didn't say that, my DSN did. I know that pharmacies can't take them back because they may not be insured if they don't get stuff direct from the companies

I could use the flex link cannulas and cartridges if you really have no use for them, although as Sue says if you still have the old Combo you might need to keep a few in reserve?

I could use the flex link cannulas and cartridges if you really have no use for them, although as Sue says if you still have the old Combo you might need to keep a few in reserve?
Ok you are welcome to them. As my combo is/was 9 months past its warranty and had some faults I'm unlikely to use it again. If the insight fails it will be the helpline and back to injections temporarily I guess.
do you want the 6mm Flexlink infusion sets which look like they have the cannula and 60 cm tubing ? I have an unopened box plus 8 in an opened box. Or the flexlink plus?

Last edited:
Ok you are welcome to them. As my combo is/was 9 months past its warranty and had some faults I'm unlikely to use it again. If the insight fails it will be the helpline and back to injections temporarily I guess.
do you want the 6mm Flexlink infusion sets which look like they have the cannula and 60 cm tubing ? I have an unopened box plus 8 in an opened box. Or the flexlink plus?
I'm not sure what Flexlink plus are?

I'm not sure what Flexlink plus are?
If you look on the accu-chek website there are pictures and info after you click on your type of pump. They look like they are cannulas with the blue square inserter plus a coil of the tubing.. YouTube also show how to use them - the same people as the accuchek. If anybody wants any spares, I am in Kent and can post if not in your location.

If you look on the accu-chek website there are pictures and info after you click on your type of pump. They look like they are cannulas with the blue square inserter plus a coil of the tubing.. YouTube also show how to use them - the same people as the accuchek. If anybody wants any spares, I am in Kent and can post if not in your location.
Sorry for the delay. I have looked at the pictures and The YouTube video and am unsure about the flex link plus - please can you or anyone who uses these tell me what the advantages are compared with the normal flexlink? I guess I would need to get the link assist plus as I am used to using that with the flexlink so it would only be worth it if I decide to change over.

Last edited:

Attachments

• WP_20170713_18_58_47_Pro (Small).jpg
    WP_20170713_18_58_47_Pro (Small).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 3
  • WP_20170713_18_59_00_Pro (Small).jpg
    WP_20170713_18_59_00_Pro (Small).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4
  • WP_20170713_18_58_47_Pro (Small).jpg
    WP_20170713_18_58_47_Pro (Small).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2
I hope the photo helps to see what they look like. I never used the flexlink as I got confused over which were compatible with each pump, and I was advised to order the wrong ones! according to the table on the website both the flexlink and flexlink plus are suitable with the combo, whereas now I am only using the insight flex cannulas with the link assist.
Michele

Thanks Michele, I can certainly use the flex links and the cartridges but not the rest. If someone else can use everything I am happy to defer to them. Can I pm you to work out a convenient way of arranging this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back