How to count carbs for fresh vegatables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nige13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

So today I weighed out 100gsm of raw carrot sticks to take to work to snack on BUT .......... can anyone tell me how to work out the carbs / calories as there is so many different answers on the internet? There was no information on the bag as these were organic and did not come packaged. :confused:

All carb numbers are estimates - different varieties of carrot will have different carb levels and may even have different carb levels depending how long they have been left in the ground.
When you consider so many other things affect our blood sugars and that our meters have inaccuracies, personally, I don't think accurate carb levels matter. My approach is to take a middle ground between all the numbers on the internet (and remember that US sites include fibre in the values whereas elsewhere do not). It is a "good enough" estimate.

Hi

So today I weighed out 100gsm of raw carrot sticks to take to work to snack on BUT .......... can anyone tell me how to work out the carbs / calories as there is so many different answers on the internet? There was no information on the bag as these were organic and did not come packaged. :confused:
Hi Nige13

I looked on my nutrition app and 100gsm of raw carrots is 7.8 carbs 🙂

All carb numbers are estimates - different varieties of carrot will have different carb levels and may even have different carb levels depending how long they have been left in the ground.
When you consider so many other things affect our blood sugars and that our meters have inaccuracies, personally, I don't think accurate carb levels matter. My approach is to take a middle ground between all the numbers on the internet (and remember that US sites include fibre in the values whereas elsewhere do not). It is a "good enough" estimate.
Thank you 🙂

Hi

Hi, I use the carb & cals counter book and app and 100g of raw carrots it says are 8g carbs, 34g cals, 1g protein & 4g fibre 🙂

Hi, I use the carb & cals counter book and app and 100g of raw carrots it says are 8g carbs, 34g cals, 1g protein & 4g fibre 🙂
Hi and thank you. I just downloaded that app for you have to pay for it £6.99 per month.

I have gradually compiled a list of carbs per 100g for the veg we usually eat. I got this info either from packets, or googling ‘carbs in …’. The values will vary depending on so many factors, but it is an estimate as @helli says. I then weigh my veg and calculate the carbs.

It is surprising how much info I now carry in my head around this. This info also helps me when I am eating out, as I can do a visual estimate in comparison to what I eat at home.

Hi, What app are you using may I ask? 🙂
Nutra Check, its really good as it links everything together in one place, I log my food as I eat it and can review it over the week and break it down, I can set it to low carb, low fat, etc and it will show when I am about to go over the daily limits.

It also allows you to add exercise, weight, body mass and other things, I had a free trial but then paid £29 for 12 months as it is really helping me more than any other app has

So I consulted my notebook and the first entry is 'carrot 8%' - so the system is still working for me.
Sometimes the simplest option is also the easiest, cheapest, most effective and accessible one.

Hi and thank you. I just downloaded that app for you have to pay for it £6.99 per month.
I use the free version of it, just looked and from what I can see you only pay if you want to use its full potential. I haven't had to upgrade it as I tend only to use it when out and use the book the rest of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back