How things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alijp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Just over 3 months ago I was a 59 year old smoker, very overweight, confused and pretty scared newly diagnosed diabetic with an hbA1c of 124 and in hospital with an infection.

At discharge I had no clue what type of diabetes I had, had been given some insulin pens and told how much to take and when and a glucose monitor and with BG readings up in the late teens pretty much told to just get on with it with very little information about what food I could and couldn't eat.

Now, 3 months on, I haven't smoked since, have lost about 4 stone, have a confirmed diagnosis of type 2, am off insulin and on metformin and have BG readings mostly between 5 and 6 with no recorded BG levels higher than 6.5 for a couple of months now and I am going to have a referral for an Active Health programme at the local sports centre.

I still have issues with what to eat but that is more down to me being a fussy eater but I have started baking for myself from sites that I have found with recipes for low carb foods such as Sugar Free Londoner. I've made bagels, breakfast pancakes, cookies etc, who would have ever thought pre diabetes that you could make pancakes out of coconut flour, not me, that's for sure.

Diabetes nurse is going to wait to do my hbA1c until the beginning of April in order to get a reading once I've been off insulin for 3 months, she is optimistic that it will show a good drop from where I was in October.

I may not post much on here but I do read the forum frequently and have really taken on board many of the comments and suggestions made to other posters, so thank you all, you have helped this confused and pretty scared new diabetic to start to understand diabetes and begin coming to terms with her diagnosis.

So I had my HBA1c blood test result today, almost 6 months on from my diagnosis and an HBA1c of 124 it has come down to 48 as of today.

I'm rather happy about that 🙂

You sound a bit like me, in that you have viewed your diabetes diagnosis as a positive, rather than dwelling on the negative.

Well done on making the changes. There's no doubt it does take commitment and hard work but it's so worth it to feel so much healthier.

Keep going, you can do it xx

Many, many congratulations on an extremely impressive journey. Giving up smoking is huge in itself but also managing to lose a very significant amount of weight and drop your HbA1c so dramatically! All I can say is that you deserve to be incredibly proud of yourself as they are amazing achievements! Well done!

Absolutely spot on. Congratulations. Facing up to it takes courage but it is a route to winning over it!

Congratulation, a lot of changes made, and well worth the effort

Brilliant result - thanks for sharing. It shows others what can be achieved even when diagnosed with an HbA1c in 3 figures. Keep it up and maybe you can get down into normal range and be told you can drop the meds.

Great stuff @Alijp. Well done

Thank you all, I am now for the last couple of weeks on the active health programme at the gym so my aim is to lose another couple of stone if I can as i need to get my BMI down to at least 27, currently at 31.

Martin, yes I would love to get into the normal range, who knows, maybe next time my blood is tested I will be there 🙂

Onwards and downwards then!!! Brill so far anyway. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back