How stress can cause weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Eating and exercise aren't the only things that impact our weight and health. Physical and emotional stress can also tip the balance of our nervous system and our scales.

Take, for example, Susan a strikingly tall and physically beautiful woman, whose nutrition was top notch and whose booze consumption wasn't big.

But, she had started putting on weight and couldn't understand why.

So, she went to see dietition and biochemist, Dr Libby Weaver. Weaver herself was stumped by Susan's mysterious situation and fossicked for extra information. But, Susan was adamant nothing in her life had changed to explain the weight gain.

Except, that is, her intake of coffee.

She had gone from one a day to as many as four a day over a three to four month period. "But, they are all black coffees, so there are no calories in them," she assured Weaver.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/7384061/How-stress-can-cause-weight-gain

I don't know about weight gain, but I can agree it does affect your diabetes in a negative way. Stress can make you go high or low and it's incredibly difficult to predict which one will occur. :(

I was in a stressful environment for a very long time (despite my best efforts I just couldn't make sense of my BGs, despite being a DAFNE graduate) and once I got out of it, I found my sugar levels started to make a lot more sense!

Stress is such a pain in the bum and I hope anyone in it, gets out of it because you'll find your HbA1c will be harder to get down. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back