How soon should you eat breakfast after waking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardmillar11

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi folks just after some advice. Finding fasting sugars in the 7s when I wake. Will eating sooner rather than later help this? Yesterday before getting out of bed the reading was 7.8 after 20 mins up moving around before eating that came down to 7.3 so I am wondering if being up and about using some energy would bring levels down before having breakfast?

I don’t see a problem with being in the 7s when you wake up, I wish my daughter could be that low every day! Which insulins are you on?

As @Sally71 suggests, waking in the 7s is not a major issue although may be an indication that a low basal could help if your levels rise slowly during the night.
What happens to your levels when you get up and about?
I find I experience Foot on the Floor - my body thinks I am fasting so dumps extra glucose to help me getting going until I eat something. I don't have to eat much or even any carbs. I just need to convince it that I am not starving and it will stop the liver dump. As a result, I try to eat sooner rather than later and definitely need something for breakfast even if it is just a handful of nuts.

My understanding is that the usual advice for someone diagnosed with LADA is to take some insulin to try to take some pressure off their remaining insulin producing cells. Depending what level you go to bed on this could assist with your rise and provide more flexibility so you don't have to plan exercise first thing or eat reduced carb meals which much be restrictive to your lifestyle

As @Sally71 suggests, waking in the 7s is not a major issue although may be an indication that a low basal could help if your levels rise slowly during the night.
What happens to your levels when you get up and about?
I find I experience Foot on the Floor - my body thinks I am fasting so dumps extra glucose to help me getting going until I eat something. I don't have to eat much or even any carbs. I just need to convince it that I am not starving and it will stop the liver dump. As a result, I try to eat sooner rather than later and definitely need something for breakfast even if it is just a handful of nuts.

My understanding is that the usual advice for someone diagnosed with LADA is to take some insulin to try to take some pressure off their remaining insulin producing cells. Depending what level you go to bed on this could assist with your rise and provide more flexibility so you don't have to plan exercise first thing or eat reduced carb meals which much be restrictive to your lifestyle
Thanks for the info Sally. I found yesterday morning that the reading started to come down after I got up and moving about. On occasion I have been high going to bed 9.7. I tested at 3am this had come down to 7.6 but then rose again to 9.2 on waking so not quite sure what is going on.

My consultant hasn't given me any medication as yet as I have not been given a definitive diagnosis which leaves it all a bit open ended.

I thought you were LADA @richardmillar11 ? Personally I’d be pushing for small amounts of insulin to preserve your remaining beta cells longer - and so you can get on with your life more easily.

I thought you were LADA @richardmillar11 ? Personally I’d be pushing for small amounts of insulin to preserve your remaining beta cells longer - and so you can get on with your life more easily.
Inka
Well the consultant said probably LADA but then again I could be MODY. She said she didn't know as I had symptoms of type 2 high bp and high cholesterol but weight loss pointed to type 1.

Inka
Well the consultant said probably LADA but then again I could be MODY. She said she didn't know as I had symptoms of type 2 high bp and high cholesterol but weight loss pointed to type 1.

Apologies for making you repeat yourself, but I do get a bit muddled with people’s history and there was someone else who joined at a similar time to you with a similar story. Did you have the GAD and C Peptide tests?

No worries lol there are so many on here you couldn't remember them all. C peptide normal GAD positive GP diagnosed t1 straight away. Consultant said GAD was inconclusive and would be running it again. Due to be reviewed again end of March.

Eating sooner rather than later - Having your evening meal a bit earlier and skipping supper could help bring your morning readings down. It would allow you to have lower blood glucose levels before you go to bed, and then right through the night.

Does being up and about using some energy bring levels down before having breakfast? - The simple answer is yes. Your own glucose readings show that your levels come down during the day while you are busy, then rise in the evening when you slow down.

As you are not taking meds and your glucose is mostly in range, I assume you have been encouraged to follow a diet and exercise plan. Carb control and exercise will help you to make the most of your limited insulin production. When the diet and exercise is not enough, meds and or insulin will be required.
Benny thanks for the advice. I try to start dinner no later than 6pm and that’s it no more food before bed. Funny you mention eating earlier as I have always known the earlier I eat the better I feel. During lockdown lunch was always at 12 noon and dinner finished before 5pm and that was me I didn’t need tea and biscuits in the afternoon to keep me going and didn’t eat anything after dinner but with work it’s not possible to get eating earlier. The biggest struggle I have is not having coffee and something to eat in the afternoon at work and morning tea at work around half 10 is just impossible I have to eat something but yet at weekends I can manage without it as I have breakfast a bit later.

As your glucose level is higher in the evening, through the night, and into the morning, we can see that your pancreas is struggling to make enough insulin for your basal needs, this is why I encourage squashing all your meals into your busy hours. Your body is at its most efficient, and exercise is more likely.
If you can make your lunch the largest meal of the day it gives you more time to digest the meal and use up the glucose through exercise and rushing around. It makes such a difference, and helps reduce the total daily amount of insulin your body needs to make and takes the strain off your pancreas.
You Know I've always know that I was better eating my main meal during the day for years. The only day I get to do this now is a Sunday and I do feel much better for it. Thanks for the advice much appreciated and it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back