how soon for next check up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spangle0581

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Went to my GP Monday - . Said my next check up with the nurse would be in July for my Diabetes - is that normal ?
Also tingling in my little fingers ? - anyone else experience this. Thanks for listening x

How long have you been diagnosed and when were your last checks.
Did you mention the tingling to the GP .

How long have you been diagnosed and when were your last checks.
Did you mention the tingling to the GP .
only diagonosed about 4 weeks ago . I saw the nurse about my diabetes and she said next check up in July . Just seems a while to me ?
I

Postcode lottery for diabetes care @Spangle0581 I'm afraid. My surgery has an excellent diabetic clinic and I was seen at three monthly intervals after diagnosis during the first year but some people seem to have to wait 12 months. If you want an earlier test give the surgery a call to see if they'll allow one in April. Worth a try.

Postcode lottery for diabetes care @Spangle0581 I'm afraid. My surgery has an excellent diabetic clinic and I was seen at three monthly intervals after diagnosis during the first year but some people seem to have to wait 12 months. If you want an earlier test give the surgery a call to see if they'll allow one in April. Worth a try.
thanks Vonny - I will get in touch with the surgery . The nurse didnt seem to fussed by it and just directed me to this website - shame as they are normally very good

Went to my GP Monday - . Said my next check up with the nurse would be in July for my Diabetes - is that normal ?
Also tingling in my little fingers ? - anyone else experience this. Thanks for listening x
Sounds normal timing of a checkup to me. My reviews are annual when things are going well and 6 monthly when they’re a bit dodgy. Do you know what your hba1c was at diagnosis, if it was really high I’d expect a 3 month checkup.

Sounds normal timing of a checkup to me. My reviews are annual when things are going well and 6 monthly when they’re a bit dodgy. Do you know what your hba1c was at diagnosis, if it was really high I’d expect a 3 month checkup.
It was 58 x

I didn't get 3 month care or support.
Just stacked with pills to take and a yearly review. Even asked for nutritional support and denied.

What are you doing to lower and what support did you get?

I didn't get 3 month care or support.
Just stacked with pills to take and a yearly review. Even asked for nutritional support and denied.

What are you doing to lower and what support did you get?
Hi @La Belle and sorry for the delay in replying. As I said we are very lucky here with our diabetic team. I was advised to reduce carbs and sweet stuff, had a foot check up the following week and also a retinal scan. All these are available at my surgery. The most support I've had though, is this forum. It really keeps me on the straight and narrow and enabled me to give up my beloved bread and potatoes, which I no longer miss. I think I was addicted to carbs and once I stopped piling them into myself, I just got used to it.

It seems a very poor show that you were denied nutritional support. Was it your GP or a diabetic nurse who denied the support?

Hi @La Belle and sorry for the delay in replying. As I said we are very lucky here with our diabetic team. I was advised to reduce carbs and sweet stuff, had a foot check up the following week and also a retinal scan. All these are available at my surgery. The most support I've had though, is this forum. It really keeps me on the straight and narrow and enabled me to give up my beloved bread and potatoes, which I no longer miss. I think I was addicted to carbs and once I stopped piling them into myself, I just got used to it.

It seems a very poor show that you were denied nutritional support. Was it your GP or a diabetic nurse who denied the support?
Thanks for your reply @Vonny

It was the GP.

I challenged the surgery chemist on the meds and he had me do bloods 4x a day for 2weeks to prove I can manage levels by lifestyle. He advised using the carbs and calorie counter book. It was helpful and levels went down by taking the initiative to use the method you mentioned, low carbs and sweets.

Became less sustainable after 6 weeks bc of the high prep/ food planning needed and so my diet went back on roller coasteride especially when faced with the hormonal cravings. Now trying again. to vet back on track.

ANY TIPS????

I did start an exercise regime: 3- 5 days in the gym with PT once a week. Lost no weight, although felt better and stronger but that also contributed to cravings of the not so good stuff (especially chips). Now the gym activity has been put on hold due to surgery 3 weeks ago.

Could do with some success story advice, pretty please

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum @Spangle0581

Hope your follow-up in July goes well - perhaps they aim for 6-monthly where people have HbA1c results at the lower end of the scale? Hopefully with the support and suggestions of the forum your July check-up will show some improvements from the adjustments you are making.

Sorry to hear you have felt a bit abandoned and unsupported by your surgery @La Belle :(

We have lots of members here with inspiring stories of having very successfully managed their diabetes within months of getting their diagnosis, and others who have plotted a steadier path to improved health.

Try not to be disheartened about your diagnosis, many people here have said that their diagnosis became a kind of catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years! Some say they feet fitter, healthier, and happier with thier weight than they have in years.

I think often you don’t realise how weary, worn down and lethargic you have been feeling. Erratic and elevated blood glucose levels can be exhausting and are linked with low mood, but this may have come on quite gradually so you may not have noticed it. Making a few positive changes can give you more energy, a clearer mind, and a brighter outlook. Plus the regular checks you get after a diagnosis with diabetes mean that any potential problems may be spotted earlier, and can be sorted out sooner.

If you feel a bit lacking in information from your surgery, perhaps sign up to the Learning Zone (highlighted link in the main menu), which has lots of modules, on a wide variety of topics, that you can work through.

Members here also frequently recommend Maggie Davey’s Letter and Gretchen Becker’s book T2 Diabetes, the first year, which you can work through gradually and will give you a solid starting point.

And feel free to ask any questions you have here too. Nothing will be regarded as ‘too obvious’ or ‘silly’ 🙂

Hi Lucyr - my diagnosis was 57 - also on BP tablets and statins x

Welcome to the forum @Spangle0581

Hope your follow-up in July goes well - perhaps they aim for 6-monthly where people have HbA1c results at the lower end of the scale? Hopefully with the support and suggestions of the forum your July check-up will show some improvements from the adjustments you are making.

Sorry to hear you have felt a bit abandoned and unsupported by your surgery @La Belle :(

We have lots of members here with inspiring stories of having very successfully managed their diabetes within months of getting their diagnosis, and others who have plotted a steadier path to improved health.

Try not to be disheartened about your diagnosis, many people here have said that their diagnosis became a kind of catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years! Some say they feet fitter, healthier, and happier with thier weight than they have in years.

I think often you don’t realise how weary, worn down and lethargic you have been feeling. Erratic and elevated blood glucose levels can be exhausting and are linked with low mood, but this may have come on quite gradually so you may not have noticed it. Making a few positive changes can give you more energy, a clearer mind, and a brighter outlook. Plus the regular checks you get after a diagnosis with diabetes mean that any potential problems may be spotted earlier, and can be sorted out sooner.

If you feel a bit lacking in information from your surgery, perhaps sign up to the Learning Zone (highlighted link in the main menu), which has lots of modules, on a wide variety of topics, that you can work through.

Members here also frequently recommend Maggie Davey’s Letter and Gretchen Becker’s book T2 Diabetes, the first year, which you can work through gradually and will give you a solid starting point.

And feel free to ask any questions you have here too. Nothing will be regarded as ‘too obvious’ or ‘silly’ 🙂
That for that @everydayupsanddowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back