How serious is a high blood at 21.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have had high blood sugars for the last 3 days and I am struggling to get it down, what are the best things to do does drinking lots of water help

my level was 21.3 mmol/L at 18.00

yesterday it went to 22.4 at the same time but down to 12.7 this morning

any help would be most welcome

Hi @Signes

Welcome to the forum

An occasional high blood glucose level is not a problem. But if your blood glucose level remains high or you feel unwell you should speak to your doctor. Drink plenty of fluids too as they helped lower mine, my highest at the beginning of my journey in July was similar to yours. Have you had any other tests like your HbA1c result which will show the last 3 months how your sugar has been behaving.

Try not to worry too much, as a type 2 there are a lot of things you can do to lower it, like reducing carbs or losing weight it you need to.

What medications do you take and do you check for ketones if taking insulin? The occasional high isn’t dangerous but being high with ketones can be, and lots of highs can be dangerous long term.

No one here can give you medical advice, but regularly hitting the 20s is pretty serious, and shows something is really not working with your treatment.

What medication(s) do you take for your diabetes?

If you start to feel sick, or start vomiting, or experience breathlessness or abdominal pain you should call NHS111 without delay.

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such high levels. Yes readings in the 20s are concerning and you don't want to let them continue that high for too long.

Can you tell us a bit about your diabetes? Things like....

How long have you been diagnosed?
What if any medication have you been prescribed for it?
What if any dietary changes have you made?
How mobile/active are you? ie Are you able to walk comfortably and confidently?
Do you know the result of your most recent HbA1c test? This is the blood test used to diagnose and monitor your progress with diabetes management. It will usually be a number in excess of 47 if you have a full diabetes diagnosis, unless you have managed to push it into remission. I am guessing yours may be quite high with those sort of BG levels.

To bring them down, it can help to drink water particularly if they are mid teens or above and sometimes your body will encourage you to do this and you will start weeing more and get a raging thirst.
Walking or cycling or swimming can be an excellent way of helping to lower levels or even dancing around the living room for half an hour if you are able.
The most important thing though is to prevent them from going that high in the first place and this usually involves dietary changes, particularly reducing carbohydrates..... BUT.... if you are using certain medications to control your diabetes then you need to be careful about reducing carbs, so knowing more about your situation will help us to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back