how often in range

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
A while ago i mentioned to you all that we had gone to a JDRF conference and that i had found out (amongst other facts and figures) that people who pump are only within range throughout the night for 29% of the time. The artificial pancreas can give you a normal range throughout the night for 69% of the time - but nobody believed me! Here are some facts and figures to show that this is in fact true. So if the pump only gives you a normal range for 29% of the time through the night -what do you get with MDI? I am still a bit shocked at these figures - but they must be right as they are researched by the scientific bods at JDRF!

What i am not sure of is whether they are saying that IF you were only in range 29% of the time on a pump - that this would equate to 69% of the time with an artifical pancreas, or whether they are saying that you ARE only within range for 29% of the time through the night on a pump as opposed to 69% of the time with the artificial panrease! I have confused myself now!:confused:

http://www.jdrf.org.uk/page.asp?section=395&sectionTitle=UK+clinical+trials

🙂Bev

It looks to me like they are saying the average for pump users on the trial was 29% in range, but for AP users the average was 67%. Surprising to me that pump users would be generally in the high range through the night.

I am pretty steady on MDI now. I can go to bed on 5.3, drop to 4.7 by 3 am, then go back to 5.4 when waking, so I'm probably in range all night, most nights. I have come to the conclusion that I am definitely in my honeymoon period so I'm probably not a good example - the only time I go outside of range is when I have given too much or too little insulin with meals wqhen forgetting to account for activity levels.

Are you worried that, even on a pump, A is going to spend a lot of time above range?

From the graphs I think it takes them independently, so with a pump you are in range 29% of the time overnight and with the artificial 67%.

So what do you get with MDI? significantly less than 29% I would guess. Which seems very low to me. Although this is what the research has showed I would hope to get alot more than 29% of the time in range.

I do wonder what they define as normal, high etc. On my CGMS I got something like 86% in range over the 3 days, but the range was 4-10

figures can always be confusing and misleading! Doesn't it take quite a while to settle down on the pump? do they have figures for the pump users who have been on it for I dunno say 6 months or so, and how tight are they saying in range is, the percentage of slightly outside range would probably be a lot higher than those on MDI? Just my thoughts!

It looks to me like they are saying the average for pump users on the trial was 29% in range, but for AP users the average was 67%. Surprising to me that pump users would be generally in the high range through the night.

I am pretty steady on MDI now. I can go to bed on 5.3, drop to 4.7 by 3 am, then go back to 5.4 when waking, so I'm probably in range all night, most nights. I have come to the conclusion that I am definitely in my honeymoon period so I'm probably not a good example - the only time I go outside of range is when I have given too much or too little insulin with meals wqhen forgetting to account for activity levels.

Are you worried that, even on a pump, A is going to spend a lot of time above range?

Hi Northerner,
If i wasnt planning on using sensors - then yes i would be worried! On the childrens forum - most people who have tried using sensors - and *had* thought that their children were fairly stable (as you describe above) - have put them on sensors and very quickly realised that their levels were all over the place throughout the night. So they would happily put them to bed on say 8mmols and the child is waking on 8 or 9mmols - seems fine- but they didnt know what was going on in-between - because although they could test at 3am (when levels are meant to be at their lowest) - there was more going on in the hours in-between that was simply not known about until using sensors!

I dont know whether MDI means that levels can be even more erratic - but it does seem that the pump gives more stable levels - so i couldnt really say about MDI.

I must admit Northerner - i do think you are still 'honeymooning' because your levels are excellent - i hope you dont come out of the honeymoon! (that doesnt mean i dont think you put huge amounts of work in to getting these results - just that you have mentioned that you never spike etc..)🙂Bev

p.s. I forgot to say that because you can have so many basals on the pump - i am hoping to be able to tweek it for nightime levels so that he does stay within range all night!

Last edited:
Hi Bev,

Hope you and A are well, How did your daughter do in the A levels... Hope all went well...🙂

I cant really comment on the range and pumps, as I have very limited knowledge about them. But have you refered to the Dr Raganar Hanas bible.. I do know there is a large section on pumps and there ranges etc.. 🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back