How much of a risk is covid to those with type 2 and overweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy1960

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone - I have type 2 and am overweight. I have been very careful around covid since the pandemic started and I’m still very fearful of becoming seriously ill if I got it. It is starting to affect my mental health - there’s so many things I’m not doing and everyone else seems to be “back to normal”.
I’m really not sure what the risks are now to us diabetics.
Are you just carrying on as normal and taking your chances? Also, if you have had covid - how ill were you?
I would love to hear from you as I just want to get back to normal, but feel too scared.
Thank you. ❤️

I have T2 on MDI, obese BMI and have covid. I have been doing things completely as normal, no masks, going to church / musical hobbies / cinema / etc. I think everyone will catch covid at some point, though actually the timing of when i caught it is a bit weird as hadnt been particularly close to others, had been to church but sat by an open window and left soon after the service didn't mingle much.

The first day of covid was just a sore throat and worked through it, took Thursday and Friday off work (wasn't well enough to WFH) and will probably take a few more days off. Covid has completely wiped me out but i cant imagine i'll end up in hospital with it.

There are a number of things which increase the risk of severe covid including weight and having diabetes (the risk is higher for Type 1). However, the risk for everyone is much much much much lower now than it wa a year ago. Now, we have had at least three vaccinations, there are drugs available now to treat covid and we know so much more about it.

The risk is going to be greater if your blood glucose is not well managed as it would be with any infection which might increase blood glucose as it is known to do in some people.
I still think that caution is wise, and wearing a mask and avoiding very crowded places. I certainly have found it difficult to get into the mindset of going out and about normally and probably not really doing so yet. But I'm sure we will all get there.

I don't think anyone can give you any real assurance as to how it will affect you as an individual if you get it but as others have said the risks are lower now both in terms of the severity of strains of it, the vaccination program and the medications used to treat it, if necessary.
I don't mix socially very much but I have continued to shop in person throughout the pandemic, taking sensible precautions and I continue to do that. I have also been to the theatre a few times now and an arena concert (Simply Red) and eaten out a couple of times and been to a few in person meetings.
My advice would be to ease yourself into more normal activities gradually but take whatever precautions you feel are sensible. For me, I went to a matinee performance first as they are usually quieter. I continue to wear a mask in shops and theatre. I go for meals at off peak times. Those sorts of precautions are helping me to feel more comfortable and gain confidence. I haven't had Covid yet but I agree with others that it is probably only a question of time. Thinking about it, II have never actually worried about getting normal flu in the past (which can also be a killer) and I don't worry about crossing the road or getting in the car and driving somewhere but there are certainly risks involved with those activities. I think it is all about perception and you have to learn how to manage your perception of this new risk.

It is important to remember that the VAST MAJORITY of people are only experiencing mild or even no symptoms now so the risk is much lower. There is quite a high proportion of people on this diabetes forum who have now had Covid I believe and I can only think of one who was hospitalized as a result. Most have had mild or negligible symptoms.

The best things you can do to limit the impact it has on you if you get it, is to manage your blood glucose/diabetes well, keep as fit as possible and do your best to lose some weight if you need to.

There are a number of things which increase the risk of severe covid including weight and having diabetes (the risk is higher for Type 1). However, the risk for everyone is much much much much lower now than it wa a year ago. Now, we have had at least three vaccinations, there are drugs available now to treat covid and we know so much more about it.
I had it at christmas before I had got my Hba1c down. It was like having a cold. I have had 3 vaccinations. I had the most recent variant I think. Best to get your weight down and manage your blood sugar well? Otherwise live life.

We will get more drugs today than we would have a year ago.
Thats not right, you don’t receive any drugs for Covid as standard with just diabetes. If it’s severe enough to need hospital admission, or a GP appointment then there are medications, or if you have other conditions that mean you are severely immunosuppressed then you may qualify for antivirals.

Thats not right, you don’t receive any drugs for Covid as standard with just diabetes. If it’s severe enough to need hospital admission, or a GP appointment then there are medications, or if you have other conditions that mean you are severely immunosuppressed then you may qualify for antivirals.
I meant if anyone ends up with severe covid in hospital. Far less people are ending up on ventilators than a year ago even though the numbers in hospital are rising.
I am not referring to pre-emptive drugs that you sent when you are unwell at home.

I've gone back to normal life, travelling, shopping, eating out, concerts, shows and enjoying life. I've worked right through rhe pandemic in a small supermarket and haven't caught it. I've just had my spring booster. I was added to the shielding list last February when they done the review but carried on working.

I have only had two jabs - was far more affected by the 1st AZ jab than when I had the Omicron version starting the day before I was offered a booster shot.
With Omicron I stayed in bed two mornings.
Last Monday I was with two people who subsequently developed Covid symptoms. By Thursday I felt not quite right. Now I am coughing and sneezing, my throat is dry and my head is ringing. I stayed in bed all morning - and I feel cold, but not all that ill really. All I need is warm drinks and a cosy shawl.
I decided to resume my usual activities, as available, once I got over Omicron - life is too short, I decided.

Thank you all so much for your replies. All very interesting and encouraging. I definitely feel a bit more relaxed about it all and will try to get back to a more normal life and not be so worried.

Just take it one small step at a time and work out how you can minimize the risk for each occasion and gradually build your confidence up. Now we are coming into the warmer weather, eating outside at a pub or cafe at lunchtime will be a reasonable option to start.... or maybe inviting a couple of friends round if you haven't been having any direct contact.
Let us know how you get on. We are happy to hear of any little achievements and it can help to encourage others who are in a similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back