How many?

They used to tell us that T1 numbers equalled approx. 10% of the whole - but since I don't know what they reckon the total is, that's not much help!

I'm so sorry - I wasn't that desperate to know, that I was going to read through the links!

I would be curious to know what the stats are for Type 3c as it seems to me there are many more Type 3cs being diagnosed, probably due to it being more widely recognised. We do seem to be getting an increasing number of Type 3c members these days, which I think is a really good thing as they can share information and experiences about the more unique challenges they face.

Are there figures available as to the total number of Type 1 compared to Type 2?
It is generally said that there are 10% Type 1s to 90% Type 2s. Within those figures 40% of Type 2s are on insulin injections which means Type 2s on insulin outnumber Type 1s by 4 to 1. Yet you would never know that. Diabetes UK has little advice for Type 2s on insulin for example and not even a section on this Support Group for them. Mind you there is not even a section on this Support Group for Metformin users who are the biggest single group of diabetics.

Diabetes UK has little advice for Type 2s on insulin for example and not even a section on this Support Group for them. Mind you there is not even a section on this Support Group for Metformin users who are the biggest single group of diabetics.
I think that's a conscious choice to group people together rather than to separate us up. There's no separate section for people with Type 1, either.

It's a judgement call; I can imagine it might be helpful to have a "using insulin" section, for example. But maybe that would work out worse: better just to lump all (or most) the discussions on most topics in one section.

Back