How many of you are on medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebstar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As the heading says are many of you are on medication. I was diagnosed in June and am diet controlled at the moment. Also I am worried that I have a certain amount of neuropathy as I seem to have slight burning sensations in my feet althouth everything seemed fine at my foot check. I don't know if it is because I keep reading about symptoms and convincing myself I have got them. I feel really down about my diabetes at the moment. I haven't been called back to my diabetic clinic yet for blood tests and am worried that things are getting worse and I may need medication.:confused:

To address you question about foot sensation - if you have burning sensations in your feet, then you should definitely report these to your GP or diabetes clinic, regardless of being OK at your foot check (when was that?) and at the same time raise your questions about medication with them. There may be some explanation other than diabetic neuropathy, and in any case, the sooner a problem is identified, the sooner it can be treated and stopped getting worse.
Sorry, I can't give a personal explantion - like all type 1s, I'm on insulin, which isn't very useful for a type 2 to know.

I was diagnosed at the end of July, and was put on Metformin (as well as diet) straight away as my BG levels were so high.

Luckily for me, everything else (BP, Cholesterol, Ketones, foot sensation etc) was absolutely fine, so nothing else needed 'looking at' at the time. Oh, except weight, of course!😱

xx

preety much the same as helen diagnosed in feb diet controlled first then after 3 weeks put onto metformin.

I was diagnosed with bg of 7.1. I am hoping to see diabetic nurse in next week or so.

Sebstar, something I found out in the first few months after diagnosis is that you may feel the sensations akin to neuropathy as your levels begin to settle down. I had a few problems with pains in my toes which did disappear to a large extent once I was a few months into treatment, so this may be similar to what you are experiencing. Also, as you say, you are more 'tuned in' to these little aches and pains. Certainly worth mentioning to your GP, but encouraging that your foot tests were fine.🙂

I was diagnosed with bg of 7.1. I am hoping to see diabetic nurse in next week or so.

Blimey, I'd consider 7.1 pretty good!! I was diagnosed at 19+ and a few days later 18+ !!

xx

Sebstar, something I found out in the first few months after diagnosis is that you may feel the sensations akin to neuropathy as your levels begin to settle down. I had a few problems with pains in my toes which did disappear to a large extent once I was a few months into treatment, so this may be similar to what you are experiencing. Also, as you say, you are more 'tuned in' to these little aches and pains. Certainly worth mentioning to your GP, but encouraging that your foot tests were fine.🙂

My foot results recently were taken and although both big toes side are numb my nursey said the sensention buzz thingy were fine better than hers!!..my foot neuropathy started years ago (2001 when in north scotland) my gp here put it all down just to where and tear with the nerves and the bone and cartlidge etc...bad shoes as child...oh i should have listen to my mother !! ...i was 7.2 when diagniosed a year ago and im 6.4 now...and learning all the time ...and :D use this forum they are a friendly bunch ..

I was up to 24.6 when I got carted off to St George's where the useless wazzocks did nothing at all to help me beyond giving me a cup of tea and packing me off home on the bus. Got the diagnosis four days later when my bloods came back at 20.2. A month later I'm in the low teens most of the time and getting below 10 more and more often with my best so far, not counting the Hypo, being 7.3. The side effects are horrendous as my dosage of Metformin has just been increased and I'm back to square one, not feeling like eating much as a consequence. I deliberately took only half the dose today as I didn't want to be in that state on the train.

I have been getting awful pains and swelling in my feet the last week or so too. Didn't have that before I started the pills.

I was up to 24.6 when I got carted off to St George's where the useless wazzocks did nothing at all to help me beyond giving me a cup of tea and packing me off home on the bus. Got the diagnosis four days later when my bloods came back at 20.2. A month later I'm in the low teens most of the time and getting below 10 more and more often with my best so far, not counting the Hypo, being 7.3. The side effects are horrendous as my dosage of Metformin has just been increased and I'm back to square one, not feeling like eating much as a consequence. I deliberately took only half the dose today as I didn't want to be in that state on the train.

I have been getting awful pains and swelling in my feet the last week or so too. Didn't have that before I started the pills.

sounding tough honey...you ok ...i used to use a peppermint foot lotion from body shop when my feet felt bad...like liquid seaside rock..but have found now things are better with levels feet altho numb are not so painful

Thanks so much for your replies like someone earlier said you are such a friendly bunch. 🙂

As the heading says are many of you are on medication. I was diagnosed in June and am diet controlled at the moment. Also I am worried that I have a certain amount of neuropathy as I seem to have slight burning sensations in my feet althouth everything seemed fine at my foot check. I don't know if it is because I keep reading about symptoms and convincing myself I have got them. I feel really down about my diabetes at the moment. I haven't been called back to my diabetic clinic yet for blood tests and am worried that things are getting worse and I may need medication.:confused:
Hi sebstar,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've been a Type 2 for nearly nine years and I've recently reversed my situation and normalised my blood glucose levels - almost entirely by changing the things that I eat. I still do very little exercise and really ought to do more.

It sounds as though you might improve your situation by changing your diet - quite likely by cutting back on starchy carbohydrate - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. Type 2s usually find quick improvements in blood glucose levels by doing that. Such improvement in blood glucose levels ususally leads to reversal of symptoms and minor complications too.

Why not tell us what you are eating and people will quickly tell you what you may need to change.

Best wishes - John

hi sebstar

i was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 years ago and like you i controlled it with my diet for the first 2 years ,
the thing that done me was a virus i got that went into my muscles and threw my diet up in the air ,
at first i was given the meds below

metphormin 4 a day
simvestatin 1 a day [taken away when found to cause bowl probs
aspirin 1 a day changed to clopidogrel as aspirin caused bad tummy troubles
omeprazole 1 a day for side effects of aspirin
mebeverine because of the simvestatin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back