How many meds are too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m new to the site so forgive me if I get this wrong. I am currently on Metformin, 4 tabs, empagliflozin, 25mg, Sitagliptin 10pmg and Ozempic weekly injection. I am not having a great time with tiredness, nausea and light head and put down to side effects from Ozempic so about to swap that for Trulicity to see if it helps. Just wondering if this amount of meds is usual? my last check up had a reduction from 10.2 to 8.2 and weight loss of 6kg so working but I feel so grim it’s getting me down. Anyone ideas would be helpful

Hi. It's not unusual to be on that number of meds but if you pursue a low-carb diet and reduce any excess weight you may well be able to stop the Ozempic/Trulicity. Congrats on the 6Kg weight loss so far and the improved HBA1C.

I'm not on any meds at all for my D and I worry about that! I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. 🙄 Not that I want to be on D meds. I'm on meds for too many other things! I hope you can get your meds sorted till you are comfortable with them and they are working for you. I think it does take time.

I assume more and more meds have been added because dietary changes were not working. When you are taking so many different things it is difficult to pin down which if any are causing you the unpleasant symptoms.
How long did it take for the drop in HbA1C to happen.
There may be some constraints because of some of the meds but looking at your carbohydrate intake may be helpful and if you can reduce that then dropping some of the meds MAY be possible.

Sorry to hear that you are feeling unwell despite improvements in your BG levels :(

Are those results from fingerstick blood glucose ‘spot checks’ or are they the old-style HbA1c readings in percent? It’s more common to have HbA1c reported in mmol/mol these days.

It seems to be common practice in T2 to layer additional medications over the top of existing ones to attempt to find the riht balance.

There is a NICE recommendations ‘flow chart’ of the process here:

I’d also suggest it’s important to factor in food choices and activity levels as part of the plan. These can have a very significant effect on blood glucose outcomes - and as an insulin user I am well aware that insulin alone is not ‘enough’. It needs to be balanced with a carefully managed intake of food, and adjusted around increased or decreased activity levels.

Hope you can find a combination of meds that work well and give you back your zip and zing. Elevated BG levels can be exhausting and contribute to low mood by themselves, so improving your BG management should help to give you a lift 🙂

Thank you everyone. It feels good to share and have help. I’m working on the exercise regimen, and the carbs, and suspect it’s going to be a long haul but will attack it with gusto. Moving onto Trulicity today instead of Ozempic so fingers crossed.

Thank you everyone. It feels good to share and have help. I’m working on the exercise regimen, and the carbs, and suspect it’s going to be a long haul but will attack it with gusto. Moving onto Trulicity today instead of Ozempic so fingers crossed.
If you would like to share what sort of meals you are having people may be able to make some suggestions that will help.
This link may also give you some ideas but be careful as you are on quite a cocktail of meds. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back