How many meals per day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaine65

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
I am a carer for my husband who has type2 diabetes. He has also had several strokes so doesn't always think rationally. He has been watching a YouTube channel from a Dr. Sten Ekberg, who suggests diabetics should have 1 meal per day to avoid blood glucose levels spiking and dropping. Hubby says everyone over here that says it should be regular meals is wrong (even the drs and experts) Hubby isn't on insulin but he does take Linigliptin . His most recent HBa1c is 6.0. I'm thinking 1 meal per day could lead to a hypo. Can I ask what other people's thoughts or findings are please?

Hello. 🙂 I like to eat at 10 and 5, two meals a day. It's enough. I am doing low carb and my bg has levelled out lovely. I was in double figures. I don't think one meal a day is enough but my daughter has lost five stones doing just that. Too strict for me!

Everyone is different and what works for one may not for another. I can't imagine just eating one meal a day and still have breakfast, lunch and tea, all of which are low carb. Eating one meal a day would certainly expand the "fasting window"!

(Well done you and your daughter btw @ Ditto)

Welcome to the forum @Elaine65

We have a number of different dietary approaches on the forum. Some members use techniques like intermittent fasting, or simply prefer to only have 2 meals a day.

Other members are happier with a combination of 3 meals (and/or snacks), or spread things more broadly with a grazing approach.

All of these approaches can provide ‘low spike’ results if the eating pattern suits the person (everyone is different, and different people suit different approaches).

I would be naturally sceptical of a sole source saying (however convincingly) that they have uncovered THE way to handle diabetes for everyone. Especially if this is not backed by properly peer-reviewed scientific research. If it worked so convincingly, was repeatable, scalable, and gave results that worked for everyone, with evidence to back it - I’d imagine the NHS would be rolling it out as a pilot.

Linagliptin works by encouraging the pancreas to release more insulin than it naturally would - so it would be wise to discuss any possible change of eating strategy with his GP to be safe.

Welcome to the forum @Elaine65

We have a number of different dietary approaches on the forum. Some members use techniques like intermittent fasting, or simply prefer to only have 2 meals a day.

Other members are happier with a combination of 3 meals (and/or snacks), or spread things more broadly with a grazing approach.

All of these approaches can provide ‘low spike’ results if the eating pattern suits the person (everyone is different, and different people suit different approaches).

I would be naturally sceptical of a sole source saying (however convincingly) that they have uncovered THE way to handle diabetes for everyone. Especially if this is not backed by properly peer-reviewed scientific research. If it worked so convincingly, was repeatable, scalable, and gave results that worked for everyone, with evidence to back it - I’d imagine the NHS would be rolling it out as a pilot.

Linagliptin works by encouraging the pancreas to release more insulin than it naturally would - so it would be wise to discuss any possible change of eating strategy with his GP to be safe.
Thank you. I hadn't thought about this idea being peer reviewed.....or not! I forgot to mention that Dr Sten Ekberg is a Swedish holistic Dr, not a Dr of medicine in the UK. Hubby has managed to get his HBa1c down to 6.0, by reducing carbs & portion control and limiting treats. This is why I worry that if he switched to 1 meal per day it could cause a hypo. Also he's been told not to lose any more weight.

Because of the medication I think any change in diet to something as extreme as one meal a day should be discussed with the diabetic nurse or GP as there could be a real danger of hypos and weight loss.
A slow more controlled approach to blood glucose management is more likely to be sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back