How many have coexisting conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Only me being nosey again but along with diabetes my blood tests have shown a likely fatty liver (awaiting scan) and very high cholesterol. I was wondering if this is normal to have more than one problem when you discover you have diabetes.

I've been frightening myself reading up about Non Alcoholic fatty liver. I researched and saw that milk thistle has been helpful with some people in getting the numbers down. So I have ordered some from Holland and Barrett, it says the most effective dose in the study was 420 a day split up over the course of the day. I am going to have to have 4 of these capsules to cover that amount.

Cholesterol - I am eating almonds as apparently the vitamin E helps with this and also the liver.

The doctor seemed suprised that I hadnt got any kidney issues but to be honest I havent been thirsty or drunk more so thats probably why (although I do crave ice lollies 🙂 )

I was wondering if this is normal to have more than one problem when you discover you have diabetes.
I suspect it's very common, since as soon as we have diabetes the target blood pressure and cholesterol levels are lowered, so we're more likely to be regarded as having high BP and/or cholesterol levels.

Also people with diabetes are looked at more often than typical people so GPs are likely to notice at least those things that are easy to spot with typical blood tests and other tests that they do for people with diabetes.

Only me being nosey again but along with diabetes my blood tests have shown a likely fatty liver (awaiting scan) and very high cholesterol. I was wondering if this is normal to have more than one problem when you discover you have diabetes.

I've been frightening myself reading up about Non Alcoholic fatty liver. I researched and saw that milk thistle has been helpful with some people in getting the numbers down. So I have ordered some from Holland and Barrett, it says the most effective dose in the study was 420 a day split up over the course of the day. I am going to have to have 4 of these capsules to cover that amount.

Cholesterol - I am eating almonds as apparently the vitamin E helps with this and also the liver.

The doctor seemed suprised that I hadnt got any kidney issues but to be honest I havent been thirsty or drunk more so thats probably why (although I do crave ice lollies 🙂 )
Do read the product information before you start taking the Milk thistle as there seems to be potential for some unpleasant side effects.

Hi Jenny, I had fatty liver and high cholesterol (6.4mmol/l) at time of diagnosis, but have managed to get improvements with them by losing weight. I also have high blood pressure, but weight loss has done nothing to improve that (though I'm on ramipril to deal with it). I think I was meant to be going for a liver scan, but it's not happened.
You can make your own ice lollies with ice lolly moulds and a low sugar fruit squash. I got my moulds from Lidl, but they sell them on Amazon etc too. I tried making Greek yogurt and berry lollies, but they weren't very nice!
Sarah

Hi Jenny, I had fatty liver and high cholesterol (6.4mmol/l) at time of diagnosis, but have managed to get improvements with them by losing weight. I also have high blood pressure, but weight loss has done nothing to improve that (though I'm on ramipril to deal with it). I think I was meant to be going for a liver scan, but it's not happened.
You can make your own ice lollies with ice lolly moulds and a low sugar fruit squash. I got my moulds from Lidl, but they sell them on Amazon etc too. I tried making Greek yogurt and berry lollies, but they weren't very nice!
Sarah
I hope I am allowed to try reducing my cholesterol by diet but as its 9.2 I wonder if they will ask me to go on statins straight away which I have heard makes weight loss even harder. I am going to ask if I can have 3 months to try with exercise, diet and quitting smoking before medication,, do they allow you to do this. I mean I know they cant force you to take medication but I have heard on another forum of people being scared with comments like you are a stroke waiting to happen if you dont have these drugs. One of the ladies had a heart attack and they put her on them, her whole body ached and she felt so unwell she went off them and lost weight to get control and it worked, she said she knows they may increase the length of your life but they also made it impossible to enjoy your life, she wasnt able to even exercise due to the pain they caused in her legs.

I am obviously going to listen to the doctors but I would like the chance to make those changes for myself before medication is offerred.

I love greek yoghurt, its a shame they didnt work out as lollies, but the low sugar squash and water is a great idea x

Do read the product information before you start taking the Milk thistle as there seems to be potential for some unpleasant side effects.
Thanks just read up on those, they dont sound pleasant, it says you cant take it if you are on statins, which makes me wonder if it does the same thing. which would explain the side effects,

How long do other conditions (like my skin sores) take to heal once the blood sugar is controlled. Is it likely to be something within a couple of months or is it a longer process? I have attached a photo of my arm sore which has been like that for 2 years, the middle bit is bumpy and hard, like ths sort of skin you would have on your foot if you were a keen walker. I hope it will go back to being blemish free and smooth once my sugars have levelled. I also have them all over my back and shoulders so having to wear a shawl at my sons wedding. I was on a team call the other day and my manager and colleague both gasped when I turned around on the webcam. They said "what have you done to you arm and shoulder Jenny?" I have been living with these disfiguring wounds so long I forget other people may react.

My own daughter said looking at the sores on my back made her feel a little unwell and she is a kind girl so I do think I am in for a lot of stares in the summer, luckily all hidden in winter though:(

Attachments

• skin damage.jpg
    skin damage.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 5
How long do other conditions (like my skin sores) take to heal once the blood sugar is controlled. Is it likely to be something within a couple of months or is it a longer process? I have attached a photo of my arm sore which has been like that for 2 years, the middle bit is bumpy and hard, like ths sort of skin you would have on your foot if you were a keen walker. I hope it will go back to being blemish free and smooth once my sugars have levelled. I also have them all over my back and shoulders so having to wear a shawl at my sons wedding. I was on a team call the other day and my manager and colleague both gasped when I turned around on the webcam. They said "what have you done to you arm and shoulder Jenny?" I have been living with these disfiguring wounds so long I forget other people may react.

My own daughter said looking at the sores on my back made her feel a little unwell and she is a kind girl so I do think I am in for a lot of stares in the summer, luckily all hidden in winter though:(
What has your dermatologist said about it, you mentioned seeing someone. Does any topical medication help.?

I am going to ask if I can have 3 months to try with exercise, diet and quitting smoking before medication,, do they allow you to do this.
You can ask, I was offered statins at my medicine review and said I'd like to decide next time I see him and keep on dieting first.
The NICE guidance says patients "should then be offered the chance to have their risk of CVD assessed again after they have tried to change their lifestyle. Lifestyle adjustments recommended by NICE include being more active, quitting smoking, reducing alcohol intake, eating more healthily and losing weight."

But be guided by what the doctor says, the guidance that they follow is to routinely offer statins to people over 40, especially if they're diabetic. They will be able to help you weigh up the risks and benefits.

You can get side effects, but you can with any medication. If you need to take them and don't have any side effects, then it's all good. If you do, the GP can advise if you can try something else or keep on with lifestyle changes, which you are doing already by the sounds of it.
I chatted with a friend who'd had a heart attack in his 40s and he's enthusiastically in favour of taking statins, and that's made me rethink the reticence I had when I was offered them. I'm not keen to take loads of pills, but one more pill a day isn't loads!
Best of luck with your lifestyle modifications, you can do it! Sarah
PS I had a similar raised red mark on my arm and showed it to the pharmacist and he said he thought it was eczema, and gave me over the counter steriod cream for it. It's cleared up now. Brandish your arm to the pharmacist, they're a helpful lot.

Crikey - your Chol is high. Have you got parents still alive and if not, what did they die of? Any siblings? There is a thing called familial hypercholesterolemia, ie it runs in families.

Several different side effects can be caused by statins - and it's anyone's guess whether anyone gets any of them. The muscle thing is reasonably common I'm afraid. But GPs know that so SHOULD believe patients if they highlight that one. There are other drugs that can be used but I have to also say, shedloads of overweight Type 2s have reduced their chol as well as their BG and weight successfully, by reducing the amount of carbs they eat. Healthwise generally there's really no downside to reducing carbohydrate for anyone. It isn't even an essential foodstuff for humans, however it's impossible for anyone normal to completely remove it from diet. Even eg cucumber - mainly water and some cellulose - contains a minimal amount of carb. You might have to eat half a ton of it to get any 'useful' amount though, so you're simply entirely unlikely to ever do that!

Crikey - your Chol is high. Have you got parents still alive and if not, what did they die of? Any siblings? There is a thing called familial hypercholesterolemia, ie it runs in families.

Several different side effects can be caused by statins - and it's anyone's guess whether anyone gets any of them. The muscle thing is reasonably common I'm afraid. But GPs know that so SHOULD believe patients if they highlight that one. There are other drugs that can be used but I have to also say, shedloads of overweight Type 2s have reduced their chol as well as their BG and weight successfully, by reducing the amount of carbs they eat. Healthwise generally there's really no downside to reducing carbohydrate for anyone. It isn't even an essential foodstuff for humans, however it's impossible for anyone normal to completely remove it from diet. Even eg cucumber - mainly water and some cellulose - contains a minimal amount of carb. You might have to eat half a ton of it to get any 'useful' amount though, so you're simply entirely unlikely to ever do that!
My parents died both at the age of 80, they were slim and exercising vegetarians for most of their life. My mum had gall stones in her 50s and had her gall bladder removed (I had mine removed in my 30s), she died of Alzheimer's and ovarian cancer which I suspect was caused by being on HRT for 20 years as there is now a proven link, she also had high cholesterol (which they said was hereditary) she managed it with diet alone. My mum had low blood pressure (again same as me)

My dad had high blood pressure from his 50s and was on and off meds and the had statins for cholesterol (again hereditary) He died of Bowel cancer at 80

What has your dermatologist said about it, you mentioned seeing someone. Does any topical medication help.?
They prescribed topical steroids for 2 weeks, it helped a bit but they were the strongest ones and not advisable long term. I also was prescribed a strong antihistamine that is also used as a pre-med I cant remember the name of it but it was to stop me itching at night. (ironically Liver damage is listed on the contraindications) My Dermatologist diagnosed Nodular Pruigio but my marks are not like those on google and only one on my arm, I basically have about 8 on my upper back and one on my shoulder, some on my buttocks, but none on the legs or rest of my arms. It is a skin condition that mainly affects arms and legs, but it literally just translates to itchy nodules. My Dermatologist got the blood tests and then pushed me back to the GP so I am guessing I just have to live with the skin now.

I did wonder if the high inflammation marker in my bloods was indicative of a staph infection or MRSA on the skin.

some good news though, I started healthy eating on Tuesday and just weighed myself I have lost nearly 4 pounds in 2 days and I am eating a lot, just mainly veg and lean meat. My son said he reckons with my high BMI this simple change in eating will rid me of a stone in a month - I hope he is right 🙂

some good news though, I started healthy eating on Tuesday and just weighed myself I have lost nearly 4 pounds in 2 days and I am eating a lot, just mainly veg and lean meat. My son said he reckons with my high BMI this simple change in eating will rid me of a stone in a month - I hope he is right 🙂
actually I weighed myself at the doctors first thing in the morning and this time its last thing at night so I may have lost more if I weighed this morning. 1 more pounds loss and I am under 14 stone!

They prescribed topical steroids for 2 weeks, it helped a bit but they were the strongest ones and not advisable long term. I also was prescribed a strong antihistamine that is also used as a pre-med I cant remember the name of it but it was to stop me itching at night. (ironically Liver damage is listed on the contraindications) My Dermatologist diagnosed Nodular Pruigio but my marks are not like those on google and only one on my arm, I basically have about 8 on my upper back and one on my shoulder, some on my buttocks, but none on the legs or rest of my arms. It is a skin condition that mainly affects arms and legs, but it literally just translates to itchy nodules. My Dermatologist got the blood tests and then pushed me back to the GP so I am guessing I just have to live with the skin now.
Interesting you mention steroids as they are a medication which can increase blood glucose and people taking then long term find it hard to manage their glucose levels, hopefully if it was just short term it will not be a problem.

Interesting you mention steroids as they are a medication which can increase blood glucose and people taking then long term find it hard to manage their glucose levels, hopefully if it was just short term it will not be a problem.
Is this topical steroids or prednisolone, I only had the cream so was hoping it wouldnt affect me but having said that I would love to have another explanation for my sugar spike.

actually I weighed myself at the doctors first thing in the morning and this time its last thing at night so I may have lost more if I weighed this morning. 1 more pounds loss and I am under 14 stone!
Weight loss can happen quite quickly when you start to reduce carbohydrates as it tends to be fluid so important to stay well hydrated.
Is this topical steroids or prednisolone, I only had the cream so was hoping it wouldnt affect me but having said that I would love to have another explanation for my sugar spike.
I think it only applies to oral steroids but not certain. Stress, Infection and illness can cause increase in blood glucose.

Weight loss can happen quite quickly when you start to reduce carbohydrates as it tends to be fluid so important to stay well hydrated.
I think it only applies to oral steroids but not certain. Stress, Infection and illness can cause increase in blood glucose.
so my factors for getting it:
  1. smoking
  2. High BMI (35)
  3. Chronic skin condition possibly infection as my body is showing elevated white blood cells and inflammation marker
  4. Insomnia (assuming this puts me on par with a night worker)
  5. Weight all stored around middle
  6. Bad diet, snacking, binge eating
  7. Stress - lots going on in my life causing stress
  8. Literal couch potato since March 2020 and working from home. barely moved from my home.
Changes I am making
  1. Giving up smoking (last cigarette was just before I got my results on Tuesday as I was anxious)
  2. Following low carb, low fat, low sugar diet, 1400 cal max a day
  3. Drinking a minimum of 2 litres of water a day (never drank water before)
  4. Reducing to 1 cup of coffee a day in the morning to see if it helps me sleep by avoiding caffeine later in the day
  5. Daily exercise, walking, using the aerobic stepper etc
I reckon I was consuming 3000 cals a day of fatty high sugar food before this and then smoking away chugging back fizzy drinks, no wonder I am where I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back