How many carbs in 1 dextrose tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As the title says - does anyone know how many grams of carbs are there in 1 dextrose tablet?

Does it not say on the packet?
It seems to be all in foreign. But I've just had a look on nutracheck
Screenshot_20220117-104131_Nutracheck.jpg
so 3g of carbs in 1 dextrose tablet.

There wasn't a particular reason why I wanted to know - it was just one of those spur of the moment wonderings that came to my mind.

Also when treating a hypo and for me I go by the 15 - 15 rule (have 15 grams of carbs and check BG after 15 minutes) then If I have 4 dextrose tablets like I did with jelly babies then I'm only having 12g of fast acting carbs so really I need 1 more dextrose tablet.

Last edited:
My GlucoTabs say 3.7 grams of glucose for 1. So roughly 4 grams.
Thanks @grovesy you're right and I'm wrong

so going by this (see below) I wouldn't need 1 more dextrose tablet because 4 dextrose would be 16g of fast acting carbs.
15 - 15 rule (have 15 grams of carbs and check BG after 15 minutes) then If I have 4 dextrose tablets like I did with jelly babies then I'm only having 12g of fast acting carbs so really I need 1 more dextrose tablet.

I know the feeling - I had to look up the carbs in my orange flavours Diverticular Disease daily medication!

I have dextro orange tablets and they are smaller than Lift gluco tabs and about 3.2 grams, so you were nearer at 3 Gill. It doesn’t say on tube how many carbs in one tablet only for 100gm it’s 90. I use them in preference to Lifts as no colours in them and a few left in a package smaller to stick in pockets.

Glucotabs are different to dextrose tabs
My GlucoTabs say 3.7 grams of glucose for 1. So roughly 4 grams.
Dextrose tabs have 3g per tab, so about 5 for a hypo. Glucotabs have 3.7g so about 4. Notice I say “about”. You can be flexible in how many you have based on how low you are, what you’re doing, when you’re next eating etc. I wouldn’t have the same amount of carbs for a 3.9 before I eat tea, as I would for a 2.0 whilst out on a walk, even though they are both hypos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back