How low to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On diagnosis at the beginning of October 2009 I weighed in at 17st 6lb. Diet and exercise has now dropped that to 14st 9lb which works out, for my height, as a BMI of 25.6. Another few pounds off and I'll be into the 'ideal' range i.e. less than 25 at the top end.

My question is this. The 'ideal' range is very broad so how low should I go? I have in mind to continue the current diet and exercise regime and see where I level off? I assume I will level off eventually? Is that correct? Does my plan sound sensible?

I have become quite accustomed to smaller portion sizes, controlled quantities of low GI carbs and no longer have hunger pangs so the diet feels very comfortable and maintainable long term.

Hi Cliff, We discussed this at our weightwatchers meeting last night. Our leader was saying that although BMI is a useful tool for gauging what weight a person should be it is based on very old formulas (1950's I think) and nowadays not necessarly accurate as everybody is an individual. She recommends that you discuss it with your gp/dsn/dietitian etc as they know your personal health situation. Sorry thats not much help.

PS Well done on your fantastic weight loss :D

Wow

On diagnosis at the beginning of October 2009 I weighed in at 17st 6lb. Diet and exercise has now dropped that to 14st 9lb which works out, for my height, as a BMI of 25.6. Another few pounds off and I'll be into the 'ideal' range i.e. less than 25 at the top end.

My question is this. The 'ideal' range is very broad so how low should I go? I have in mind to continue the current diet and exercise regime and see where I level off? I assume I will level off eventually? Is that correct? Does my plan sound sensible?

I have become quite accustomed to smaller portion sizes, controlled quantities of low GI carbs and no longer have hunger pangs so the diet feels very comfortable and maintainable long term.

Dear Cliff,

What a fantastic achievment! You have done extremely well. I think you have almost answered your own question - steady as she goes and wait to see what happens. If you drop to the lower end of the normal range just increase your fuel input until you level off at your desired weight.

Warmest reards Dodger

Dear Cliff,

What a fantastic achievment! You have done extremely well. I think you have almost answered your own question - steady as she goes and wait to see what happens. If you drop to the lower end of the normal range just increase your fuel input until you level off at your desired weight.

Warmest reards Dodger

Dodger

You may not recall, but when I was first diagnosed and joined the forum, you and wallycorker pitched in with some dietary advice which somehow flicked a mental switch in my head. My policy since then has not been low-carb (as Bernstein would describe it) but very definitely controlled carb, reduced portions, testing and working out what works for me.

I'm very grateful to both of you for your initial advice.

Hi Cliff, well done on your great achievment! I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with within the BMI range. If you are happy that your diet is providing you with sufficient calories, then I think you should just continue.

I've been at both ends of my own particular BMI scale over the past 18 months. I lost a lot of weight over the preceding two years (2st - a lot for my small frame), then well over a stone in two days when diagnosed. I dropped into the underweight zone and remained there for several months. Although I felt healthy enough I was aware that I looked emaciated. Since then my weight has increased and I am now closer to the top end of my normal BMI! I now feel too heavy, so am working at losing some weight. I think we do find a natural level within that broad range, and my ideal would probably be around 20-21 (I'm currently about 24.5).

consider body composition, not just BMI

Congratulations, Cliff.
As BMI is such a crude measure, perhaps it's worth considering your body composition ie relative components of fat and lean mass (basically muscle). Many gyms etc have machines where you stand on metal plates and sometime hold metal handles, too, which give a crude measure of fat % etc. Tanita is probably the most common brand. Then you can decide whether to reduce your weight further and also consider composition - less fat is better, but muscle is denser; but fat can not turn into muscle, just the types of cells become relatively more / less big / numerous.

Dodger

You may not recall, but when I was first diagnosed and joined the forum, you and wallycorker pitched in with some dietary advice which somehow flicked a mental switch in my head. My policy since then has not been low-carb (as Bernstein would describe it) but very definitely controlled carb, reduced portions, testing and working out what works for me.

I'm very grateful to both of you for your initial advice.
Hi Cliff,

I don't remember the specific dietary advice but whatever it was I'm glad that you feel that I may have made some small contribution to your progress.

I'm on holiday at present and while I've been away I've re-read Dr Bernstein's book and I really do believe that he has a wonderful comprehension of the problems that all of us diabetics face. When I first read is book exactly one year ago, I think that I comprehended that then but at that time his targets of normalisation seemed too far away from my situation as it was then. As a non-insulin dependent Type 2 on metformin only, even now, I find that I can eat some of the foods that he finds to be taboo - e.g. fruit - and, moreover, that I do seem to be able to eat more carbohydrate than he advises.

However, at present my blood glucose levels are now much nearer to his target levels - of around 4.5 to 5.5 at all times - and I've decided to see how much further I can go. Over the last few days mine have varied between 3.7 and 5.4 on a mixture of 'on rising', one and two hours after eating readings. Quite remarkable considering where I started from just over twelve months ago with HbA1c readings in the 8s and 9s.

As regards your weight loss achievement then congratulations on where you have got to. Well done!

My BMI will be around 25 before too long and I'm having the same thoughts as you as to where I ought to hold my weight. I've got a BMI of 22.5 in mind - i.e. the middle of the 'normal' band. However, I feel good with my weight at present and everyone keeps telling me how good I look - especially, now I've started buying new - and more fashionable - clothes.

I'm still eating a lowish calorie diet most days of around 1,300 to 1,500 calories per day and - just like you - I must say that I don't ever feel hungry. I seem to have adjusted my dietary needs to perhaps where they ought to have been all along.

Stick at it and let us all know how you progress.

Very best wishes - John

Great achievment with your weight. Our weight is a very indvidual thing and it is probably better to talk to medical team for advice. I am not much heavier now than when I got married in 1981, but still need to loose some.

Hi Cliff. I suspect you will know when you are the right weight. At just under 14 stone my BMI is 24.9. I could do with losing a few pounds as I am a bit flabbier than I was before I broke my femur. I was the same weight then but fitter. After the operation I dropped to 12 stone but looked ill. Everybody has a weight that seems right of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back