how Long will it last

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikeking

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
i have been put on metformin 2*500mg tablets,ever since i have been on these tabletsi get terrible pain in my back,pain in my chest and in my joints on my arms,i contacted my doctor and he took me off the tablets for a week,the pains i were getting got quite a bit better id say around 75% he also told me that my blood sugar levels would rise whilst i was not taking my tablets fair enough i thought,to mine and my nurses amazement my blood sugars went down 10.9 on tablets 4.8-7 without,,my doctor told me to start taking the tablets again to see if the pains i was getting come bacl,low and behold they did and my bs went up again,on my last visit to the nurse i showed her my dairy and she advised me to stop taking the tablets was she right to tell me this?she said that the tablets were creating lactic acid which was proberly be the cause of my pain,so i stopped the tablets again my bs went down to 4.7 am after breakfast and 6-8 after my evening meal so i am now totally confused.what do you think i should do next

It seems pretty conclusive that the tablets are causing the pains. It takes a while to adjust to any medication, but it does sound as thoe you have better control with out it.

If your diet is healthy and you are active, it is possible to get control with out the pills, but do keep in touch with doctor and nurse and talk about the possibility of using something different.

Sounds like lactic acidosis and I think thats what the nurse is suggesting. Its a very rare side effect, but it means you won't be able to take metformin.

However there are alternative drugs.

But it sounds as if you might be able to do without any pills. Depends how future blood tests go really.

pikeking we could be twins LOL

anyway i have the exact prob to you 100% know how your feeling i am curently wearing a neck coller i have had neck bother for 4 days now and doc said warm bath warm milk and warm water bottle on my neck i opted for none of them and went for collar lol, but i do get the pains in my back over my shoulder blade and my legs

I should probably add... lactic acidosis may be rare, but it can also be fatal.

can you please tell me why it could be fatal,i was feeling a little better until i read the last reply

Well since you have stopped taking the metformin it should not be a problem.

Metformin was not available in the US for 30 years despite being considered a "wonder drug". This is because instead of metformin, they had a similar drug named phenformin. That caused far more people to have lactic acidosis (LA) and it involved some deaths. Phenformin and Buformin are not approved for use in the UK.

If anyone should have symptoms of LA while taking metformin it should be stopped immediately. As I said its rare, so its possible that some docs/nurses don't have it in mind.

Stopping the drug stops the risk.

Sorry to have alarmed you but I wasn't going to mention that till Steff started joking about hot water bottles for the symptoms. LA can be dangerous.

Thanks for clearing that up i appreciate all the advice given on this fabulous forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back