how long food stays fresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just given to me by a manager. It makes sense to know how long food is likely to keep for before it goes off If I posted in the wrong place then maybe one of the mods can move.

www.stilltasty.com

gives listings of a wide variety of foods and their shelf life.

Last edited:
What a great idea for a website - thanks for posting it Caroline! I'm not sure I should eat those sausages I have in my fridge - they are a day over their shelf life...if I'm not here tomorrow, you'll know why!😱🙂

There is something worryingly wonderful about this website. I've just surfed through pages of sell by and storage facts.... I love it and want to memorize it. The lists are fabulous -- every kind of pasta etc... Control freak, moi?!

Now that's useful. I've bookmarked the link. Ta.

Glad everyone is finding the link helpfull. I dumped some cooked meat this morning becaus it was about 2 weeks past its sell by date.

Veg, fruit & duck eges don't come out of our garden with use by dates, so we keep them in appropriate places - fridge / cool dark cupboard / blanch & freeze etc - and if they look a bit damaged, may cut that bit off and use the rest....
Basically, if it looks OK, it generally is, with a few dramatic exceptions such as tinned fish in punctured tins.

Veg, fruit & duck eges don't come out of our garden with use by dates, so we keep them in appropriate places - fridge / cool dark cupboard / blanch & freeze etc - and if they look a bit damaged, may cut that bit off and use the rest....
Basically, if it looks OK, it generally is, with a few dramatic exceptions such as tinned fish in punctured tins.

My aunts produce their own vege and trade with neighbours who produce their own fruit, so everybody gets something fresh all the time. Must say they are all in very good health too. My aunts also have a very old marble slab on which they keep things like cheese and choclate cake which always taste wonderfull, and things very rarely go off.

good link, thanks caroline. Ive always wondered how long I can keep my homemade soup on the fridge hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back