How long does it take to get down to 'normal' levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnarob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Andy

How long does it take to get down to normal levels? I was only diagnosed last Monday and my readings are a bit erratic at the moment! I have been strict this last month and I'm gradually finding out what spikes my bg level.

If you have high bg levels, does that automatically mean that your cholesterol and bp are going to high too. My doctor hasn't mentioned any of my other blood test results, do you think she would have mentioned it last week?

Sorry about all the questions, you can tell I'm a newbie!

Donna xxx

Hi Donna, I'm afraid there is no easy answer to this! Everything will depend on how well your dietary and lifestyle modifications, plus any medication, are working for you. It's actually advisable not to try to do things too quickly as this can be a bit of a shock to the body after being used to high levels for a while before diagnosis, so don't think that you have to achieve everything overnight - it may take weeks to gradually bring your levels into range and there will always be times when you get an unexpected high reading. Many people find that adapting over a period of maybe 6 months allows them time to learn how best to manage their diabetes and change to habits that will stay with you rather than the 'crash diet' approach which may leave you disilusioned and unmotivated to keep up.

As for cholesterol and blood pressure, these should both be helped by diet and activity level changes. The fitter and healthier you are generally, the better these readings should be. It would be worth getting the diagnosis numbers for these so you have a guideline to how you are doing.

Don't worry about asking questions - that's why we're here! 🙂

Hi Donna, I've moved your post into a thread on its own.

I assume that you're diet and exercise controlled only at the moment?

Anyway, I was on gliclazide and then metformin to start with and they helped me get my levels under control pretty quickly. Looking at my record book, it looks like it took me a month to get to being regularly 4-7mmol/L pre meals and 7-9mmol/L 2hrs after meals.

After that, I had the odd high reading over the next two months, but was generally OK. I finally came off the medication after 4 months (after losing around a stone in weight). Since then I have never had a reading above 9.

I don't believe that there is a direct correllation between high bg and cholesterol or bp. However, it is often true that they can all occur together.

My blood pressure was not excessively high at diagnosis (say around 140/90 with a resting heart rate of around 80). That has responded well to my regular exercise and 1yr after diagnosis it is now more like 125/80 with a resting heart rate of <60.

My cholesterol is high and the total lipid level bounces between 5 and 7 (depending on how good I've been). I'm due another test in February 2011 and am keeping my fingers crossed that it is 5 or less then. If not, then statins here I come!

One thing that I've found out about doctors and information is that if you want to know the results and record them yourself, you have to make sure that you ask them! I now make sure that I get my total cholesterol levels along with the HDL/LDL and trigliceride breakdown as well as my HbA1c.

Andy (takes breath) HB 🙂

Hi Donna, I'm afraid there is no easy answer to this! Everything will depend on how well your dietary and lifestyle modifications, plus any medication, are working for you. It's actually advisable not to try to do things too quickly as this can be a bit of a shock to the body after being used to high levels for a while before diagnosis, so don't think that you have to achieve everything overnight - it may take weeks to gradually bring your levels into range and there will always be times when you get an unexpected high reading. Many people find that adapting over a period of maybe 6 months allows them time to learn how best to manage their diabetes and change to habits that will stay with you rather than the 'crash diet' approach which may leave you disilusioned and unmotivated to keep up.

As for cholesterol and blood pressure, these should both be helped by diet and activity level changes. The fitter and healthier you are generally, the better these readings should be. It would be worth getting the diagnosis numbers for these so you have a guideline to how you are doing.

Don't worry about asking questions - that's why we're here! 🙂

'Ere how did you reply before me! :D

'Ere how did you reply before me! :D
th

Didn't you know Northener has special powers - well either that or he was going to move the post but you got there first and his typing was faster.

Andy - Donna said she is taking metformin.

Donna - I don't think we have mentioned that illness can increase blood sugar so if you get a period where all seems to be going to plan and you suddenly get an increase this is a possible cause. In terms of how long it takes to get good blood sugars with some people its fast and others its slow. If you need medication then until you are on the right level you may continue to get highs. You should see a difference when you increase the metformin dose and you Dr should give you some guidance.

Have you been given target glucose values by your Dr ?

Hi Donna

I had Diabetes type 2 diagnosed about 8 weeks ago and am at the moment I am not on medication just diet and exercise it is only really in the last 10 days that I am not getting bg of around 8 to 9 on a morning and between 5-6.5 early evening.

🙂

Last edited:
Hi there I dont think theres definate answer to this one, it took me a good few months if im honest to get readings in single figures, it became quite annoying for me and very tedious in the first 6 weeks i was diet and exercise then metformin before i knew it didnt make me to happy but the metformin did its work and my numbers started to come down significantly, i think it cam sometimes be a waiting game hopefully though it will happen soon, i wish you luck x

Andy - Donna said she is taking metformin.

Oh crikey! I read the posts several times! I must have been doing a man-look again! 😱

Oh well, my reply still stands on that basis, but I whole-heartedly agree with what others have said too.

Andy 🙂

Hello Donna, athough I was diagnosed during pregnancy of my 4 year old I am now ready to take control of my diabetes and am taking my readings. I am getting regular high readings but after a couple of weeks of being aware of my diet and lifestyle am starting to bring these into single figures.

To all who answered - Thanks - the advice is of great use to me also

Oh crikey! I read the posts several times! I must have been doing a man-look again! 😱

Oh well, my reply still stands on that basis, but I whole-heartedly agree with what others have said too.

Andy 🙂

You could easily have missed it as it was mentioned in the one for ladies thread.

You could easily have missed it as it was mentioned in the one for ladies thread.

Ah! That explains it!!

I always feel a little awkward reading the 'ladies only' threads! Much prefer leaving those for Northey (cough). :D

Donnarob

Hi Everyone and thanks for the responses.

To answer your questions, I am one tab of Metformin (500 mg) this week and the doc wants me to increase the dose to 2 starting Tuesday. She did this as she knows they can have side effects and wanted to build up gradually.

Between 3pm and 9pm, my bg levels were between 8 and 8.9 and after tonight's meal as now gone up to 13.2. The levels are still erratic and the doctor didn't think I would see them under control this side of Christmas.

I have started recording all my information online which will help when I take the print out to the docs on 1st December.

Thanks for your continued support.

Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back