Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
please does anyone know
Metformin and Pioglitazone
cheers
gail
xxxxxxxxx🙂

Hi Gail, sorry I don't take any of these. Did your doctor give you any clues? I think the metformin starts working fairly quickly, although it may take a while to determine the correct dose for you.

Mine took about 24 hours to work when I first started it, but it's quite quick now.

If you are not used to taking it, make sure you take it after food or you will have terrible problems. You might have a few problems if you are not used to taking it ot haven't taking it for very long, but they clear up.

The Metformin I was on started working pretty quickly, or at least the side effects did, certainly within 48 hours. Pioglitazone I've never heard of but if it's anything like Gliclazide or Sitagliptin, it should be the same and start working within a few days. It may take some time for your number to settle down to acceptable levels and stay there, there are so many variables that can affect things, however you should start to see a difference quite quickly. Are you able to test and find out?

Last edited:
The reason i posted this is because for last few days as soon as I take my tablets (psychiatric and diabetic) Im bringing them back up. And Im worried Im not getting any benefit from them and that they have gone out of my system. Had this a while back and GP tried nearly every anti sickness pill on the market. Think maybe possible that as Im on around 20 tablets a day my mind is subconsciously saying NO enough is enough But I want and need to take these meds if that makes sense.
Thanks for all your replys
xxxxxxxx
take care guys

Gail - some medications are available as liquids or powers to mix with water, so might be worth asking your GP about those eg metformin (Glucophage) 500mg and 1000mg powder for oral solution.

Hi Gail,

Usually, for tablets to work, they have to dissolve in the stomach and be absorbed in the intestines so that they enter the blood. If you're bringing up recognisable tablets that's not a good sign. Copepod's advice about liquids is good, i think they work faster because they don't need to dissolve. There's also the posibility that your psychiatric meds could be given as liquids. (Fluoxetine is deffinately availible as a liquid, i think paroxetine is too.)
Have you had the nausea for a while? Could it be a side effect of the metformin or pioglitasone?
Can you talk to your doctor of pharmacist about the number of pills you're taking, 20 is a lot to handle (and swallow). For eaxmple pioglitazone and metformin are availible as a combined single tablet (Competact from Takeda), that might help.

Rachel

Thanks for the reply's am going to do some web research into the liquid forms of diabetic meds I see my gp on Thursday. the only psy med that can be changed is the Resperidone and this can be given by injection (am going to discuss this with pdoc next week). Am tired of bringing meds straight back up they are not being dissolved something needs to be done, its getting so that Im dreading taking them and can feel myself being sick b4 i take them sorry guys to much info there:(

Hey Gail, not too much info at all, it must be really difficult for you. I hope that you can get some alternatives that will stay where they are supposed to.

I'm sure I have given riperadone as liquid. Not sure what else you are on but lithium, soduim valporate come in liquids. You could also ask your pharmacist if they are sutibale for crushing, some might be ok, other you won't be able to if they are modified release types.

Maybe you can spread your meds out a bit so you don't have to take too many at once.

Im on Temazepam 10mg, Risperidone 6mg, Seroxat 40mg, Lerazepam 6mg,Pioglitazone 1 a day, Metformin 6 a day, Simvastatin 40mg I think thats it:D My poor gp when I see him Thursday am defiantly going to ask about the powder form plus the Competact Something needs to be done. Cant space them out anymore as I already have my meds dispensed in Mediwallet and have them morning, noon, teatime and nighttime.
Thanks for everyone's ideas it means a lot to me🙂
cheers
xxx
gail

Hi Gail,

Research and experience says that most of your meds can be taken as liquids: Temazepam, Risperidone, Seroxat (Paroxitine), and Metfomin all deffinately come as liquids. If memory serves Risperdal (risperidone) also do a tablet that dissolves under the tounge, and we have been known to give plain Lorazepam tablets like that as well to patients who can't swallow but you'd need to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about that coz the maufacturers certainly don't recommend that. You may also be able to crush the tablets and dispserse them in water or juice.
The risperdal injection is a depot injection and i don't know much about it (all our local mental health services are delivered off site, whenever somebody orders one it causes consternation because we keep them on the self but can't dispense them lol). However i think it means you only need to have one injection a month or something like that.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back