How long did it take you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
do get your insulin dosage right?

I read some of you are having fluctuations from time to time - but maybe I am too hard on myself. I feel as though, by now, OK it's only 4 weeks since I went onto 4 jabs a day, 'normal' levels would have returned. At least, mostly I am just about in single figures.

It's not an exact science I suppose - everyone is diifferent

I asked my DSN is there a maximum dose - as I thought mine was high, at
6, 6, 7, and 60 at night, but she told be she had someone on 80, 80, 12O
and 240 at night.

Overall though, I am feeling SO much better, energy levels higher than they have been for over a year.

Off to have dinner now, 'bye

Hazel?

Hi Hazel, it's certainly very true that we are all different! Your fast-acting doses are much lower than mine, but your slow-acting higher. So I guess this is what has been worked out for you and your particular circumstances. Some people use tiny amounts - there doesn't really seem to be an 'average', and it's probably complicated by differing degrees of insulin resistance in people - plus a myriad of other factors.

My control has improved over the past 11 months, although I have been fortunate never to have prolonged periods of 'highs' - generally just the occasional blip. My HbA1c came down from 11.8 to 6.7 after the first couple of months and then down to 5.4 this January. As you may have read in my 'Bother this basal!' thread, I've been struggling to stop going below 4 lately, so my next HbA1c might be even lower!

If your numbers are improving, and generally staying in single figures, then I think you will achieve your good control before too long - they probably still need to tweak your insulin doses somewhat yet. I improved a lot when I became confident in calculating my own insulin requirements and adjusting accordingly.

Hi Hazel
With Type 2s everyone is different. I was diagnosed three and a half years ago and getting dosage right can take years, at the moment my dosage is

8am 60 Novorapid........70 Levimer
lunch 30 Novorapid
6pm 40 Novorapid.......70 Levimer

But when I go to the Gym twice a week my 8am rapid is only 30 units, and my lunch rapid 25 units.....I'm not sure if age comes into the equation but I am 70 years old 🙂

Initially going onto insulin it probably took me around 6 weeks to get my blood sugars down and a handle on my doses. I have gone up and done with doses over the past few years respsonding to changes.

It would be really useful if once you worked out your doses and ratios that was it that they never changed again.

If you are mostly in single figures then it would seem you are almost there. I'm getting daily double figures at the moment is a bit frustrating.

Thanks to everyone for your kind replies

Seems as though I am not doing anything too terrible

If I continue to feel better and the bloods stay low, then I will be more than pleased

Again thanks for your reassurances.

Hazel

It took me nearly a year to get my bg's into single figures. I started on insulartard with 1 injection daily. This has gone up to twice daily and humalog with every meal. Mow I have gone the other way and have to reduce how much I inject. Don't know what will come next, but it definitely keeps you on your toes. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back