How long after eating pizza does everyone take insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeSugar :|

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've just treated myself to a domino's and was wondering around how long after eating should I take insuling as I know if I take it before or straight after eating ill go low then high later

I think many people split the dose and take some.... maybe half... just before eating and then the rest an hour or so later. It is quite an individual thing depending upon how your body digests the carbs and copes with the fat. If you haven't taken any insulin up front, then I would inject half an hour later. Are you still using Libre? That will show you when your digestive system is starting to release the glucose from it and presumably you already know how long your insulin needs to get going at this time of day. It is all about trying to balance it so that the insulin starts hitting the blood stream as the carbs are being released from the food.

Unfortunately, the answer is to try it and find out what works for you. It's an excellent excuse for eating lots of pizza 🙂

As I have a pump I take 35% as I start eating my pizza and the remaining 65% over the next four and a half hours.
I appreciate this is challenging without a pump. Before I had one, I would split my bolus into 2 doses - one to be taken with the pizza and the other 2 hours later.

I think many people split the dose and take some.... maybe half... just before eating and then the rest an hour or so later. It is quite an individual thing depending upon how your body digests the carbs and copes with the fat. If you haven't taken any insulin up front, then I would inject half an hour later. Are you still using Libre? That will show you when your digestive system is starting to release the glucose from it and presumably you already know how long your insulin needs to get going at this time of day. It is all about trying to balance it so that the insulin starts hitting the blood stream as the carbs are being released from the food.
Oh right i haven't taken any yet so I will take it now and see how that works Yes I'm still using the libre so I will use that to test things out too thanks 🙂

Unfortunately, the answer is to try it and find out what works for you. It's an excellent excuse for eating lots of pizza 🙂

As I have a pump I take 35% as I start eating my pizza and the remaining 65% over the next four and a half hours.
I appreciate this is challenging without a pump. Before I had one, I would split my bolus into 2 doses - one to be taken with the pizza and the other 2 hours later.
Oh I see I will remember that for next time I will take half now then as its been half hour since eating then ill have the other half in an hour or so we'll see if that works out

I've just taken all of my insulin instead of half as my sugar levels are a bit high so I will remember next time to take half before and after

I've just taken all of my insulin instead of half as my sugar levels are a bit high so I will remember next time to take half before and after
That sounds like a good plan. Being able to see what is happening with the Libre really helps to direct you towards the best decision for your given circumstances at that time.
Just out of curiosity how high are you?

It definitely does and I was at 14.4 mmol before taking insulin now and I took it around half hour ago and now I'm at 12.6 so hopefully it goes down and keeps it a bit stable I took 20 units as I had a large pizza

That is probably not a bad result for a big pizza if that is the highest you go, so it will just be a question of seeing if you drop too low now .... or possibly spike again.... which I doubt.
Will you keep us posted on the outcome? I do find it quite fascinating how people manage large, carb rich meals.

Yeah hopefully that's not the case and I'll get lucky for once :D yeah I'll let you know how it goes a couple hours from now

I’m on a pump so do a multi wave bolus to split the dose, but when I was on mdi I used to do half bolus 10 minutes before then the next half about 45 minutes later and that worked well for me…but as stated above it’s trial and error.

I take half before and half after, for thin crust pizza

I’m on a pump so do a multi wave bolus to split the dose, but when I was on mdi I used to do half bolus 10 minutes before then the next half about 45 minutes later and that worked well for me…but as stated above it’s trial and error.

Use multi wave also for meals like pizza, half before rest extended over 2 hours or more depending, on pens did similar, no meal is to difficult with experience & right tools to hand.

Yeah hopefully that's not the case and I'll get lucky for once :D yeah I'll let you know how it goes a couple hours from now
@rebrascora just checked and I'm on 14.2 mmol and the arrows facing diagonally up it did go down quite a bit but is spiking again now so I might take a couple of units more

Interesting and quite surprising that it is on the up again. Good luck if you added in another couple of units.

ERR - I have 40ish % before and the rest over the next 2 hours but I have to limit myself to half a 14inch thin crust for that to work. If I eat more, or thick crust, that spikes me 5 ish hrs after eating it, ie when I'm already in bed. So - I don't do either of those by choice.

ERR - I have 40ish % before and the rest over the next 2 hours but I have to limit myself to half a 14inch thin crust for that to work. If I eat more, or thick crust, that spikes me 5 ish hrs after eating it, ie when I'm already in bed. So - I don't do either of those by choice.
Ah I see yeah I had a large I can't remember how many inches it was but I didn't take half before and after I will try that next time and yes it spikes me later on too if I have lots of it so I'd just have to take it in parts later in the day as everyone's said

How is the extra 2 units working out?

Looks like you probably did a rather decent job with it then, but having some insulin up front next time may just optimize the result. Well done!.... Hope that doesn't now jinx you to go high through the night. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back