How liver can improve diabetes management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Finding a way to stimulate glucose accumulation in the liver could help manage diabetes and obesity, shows a new research, paving the way for new therapies to fight these increasingly common disorders.

The liver stores excess glucose, sugar, in the form of glycogen - chains of glucose - which is later released to cover body energy requirements.

Diabetic patients do not accumulate glucose well in the liver and this is one of the reasons why they suffer from hyperglycemia, that is to say, their blood sugar levels are too high.

“We have to find treatments to increase hepatic glucose because of its positive effect in diabetes and obesity,” said Joan Guinovart, head of the study from Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona) in Spain.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/healt...-can-improve-diabetes-management_1498881.html

Errrrr ??

I'm not sure I follow this line of reasoning.

And if you just remove the stuff from the bloodstream and stash it, unless you do summat physical where you would use it up - same as you would to remove it from your blood anyway, if you continue to eat stuff which produces more glucose than your body can handle - what about after when the liver is full? Surely if it shrinks it's for the good reason that something else is awry - maybe the brain tells it " this body cannot handle much glucose (cos it's diabetic) - so it's no good you storing your full capacity - if you were to dump that amount into their bloodstream it would kill them!"

I mean they don't know very much about how the liver releases the stuff, that's why nobody can tell you whether your liver will in fact dump when it detects a hypo, how much it will dump or when. We know that alcohol inhibits the liver-dump mechanism cos the liver is already too busy processing the alcohol to help you out, and we can understand that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back