how high is too high??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sianee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i feel like i should know this but i have a question.
what is the highest level your sugars can raise to???
my dad was admitted to hospital yesterday with DKA and a blood sugar of 68! as i have never had any experience of this im not sure at what level your sugars become really dangerous!? i feel horrible when my sugars are at 20, but 68!!! that has astonished me that he was still awake!!! :confused:
anyway, any advice will be greatfully received.
xxxxx

I suppose too high would be anything that is doing damage both long term and short term....so really anything above the norm........

I suppose the question could be asked at what level are you at danger of blacking out and so on..........and I suppose that varies with everyone........

Many home glucose meters record "HI" rather than specific figure beyond a level of around 27 to 30mmol/l. Hospital point of care machines and biochemistry laboratories can record higher levels of blood glucose.

One home glucose meter, Optium Xceed, can detect ketones in blood, using special ketone test sticks.

If your Dad's body is used to relatively high levels, say in 20s, then perhaps that's part of the explanation about how his body can tolerate 68mmol/l?

DKA can lead to unconsciousness, so it's good that your Dad was admitted to hospital in time to help him. However, it's a tough situation for you (and him) to cope with.

My personal opinion is anything over 14 is high but dangerously hi i would say is 25+

I was told that readings of 15 or more for a prolonged period would lead to potential kidney damage etc. This was the reason why I was started on insulin, as my readings were all between 15 and the high 20's for quiet a long period of time.

hi guys, thanks for all your advice. my dad was unconcious when he was found, i know that when he first went in the hospital machine couldnt read his levels they were that high! he's awake now and slowly but surely becoming his normal self. his normal levels are near perfect 5-8mmols. this came as quite a surprise! but things are on the up, so my stess levels are decreasing a little now!!🙂 xxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back