How high is too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline1967

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
HI
I have been type 2 since May last year. Tried metformin, dapagliflozin and gliclazide...due to possible reaction I am only taking Metformin now, I am taking slow release but am having awful bowel issues with it. At review in October I was told to reduce it to 2 tablets a day. Still having bowel issues which I am finding it hard to cope with. More worryingly for me my BG is consistently raised. I have been waking at 15, 16, 17 range. Last time I mentioned this to the GP he said as I was 26 at diagnosis he didn't think it was too bad.
I don't test every day but since October it has not been below 12. As I am taking medication I would have thought it should be lower than that.
The diabetic nurse is ringing me today as I am quite worried about it. I feel quite sick and dizzy today which I don't know is related to the high BG or just a virus. I am also going to talk about stopping the metformin because of the side effects but I am not sure of what my other options would be. The doctor seemed to think I would have to cope with the metformin as the other 2 drugs caused problems.
Thanks for listening to me ramble!

i also had really bad issues with metformin (normal not slow release) i never even made it to 4 per day and have settled to just 1x500mg per day after speaking to the nurse and dr.

i decided to make more changes to my diet and exercise to compensate for the drugs i wasn't taking.

i wasnt testing as much while i was sick a few weeks ago but my BG was higher over the period as well. could have been because i was sick or because of all the cough/cold drugs.

how are you getting on with meals and the food you eat. my diet changes have had more of an impact on my BG than anything else.

Sorry to hear this, have you had your antibodies tested for type 1 at all ?
Hi
No not tested for type 1 at all as thought not possible as I go my BG under control so quickly....just hasn't stayed that way!
I have just spoken to the nurse and he has said to stop the metformin which is a relief to be honest! He has prescribed semiglutide injections instead....have been reading about them and they appear to initially have the same side effects a the metformin but not as long lasting! So hoping for the best really!!

Caroline

i also had really bad issues with metformin (normal not slow release) i never even made it to 4 per day and have settled to just 1x500mg per day after speaking to the nurse and dr.

i decided to make more changes to my diet and exercise to compensate for the drugs i wasn't taking.

i wasnt testing as much while i was sick a few weeks ago but my BG was higher over the period as well. could have been because i was sick or because of all the cough/cold drugs.

how are you getting on with meals and the food you eat. my diet changes have had more of an impact on my BG than anything else.
Thank you for the reply.
I initially went very low carb and only ate about 30g of carbs a day which brought my BG down quite quickly. I am now on about 50g a day which is still pretty low I think. It has been working really well until October when I dropped the metformin down. The nurse has now prescribed semiglutide so will see how I get on with that.

Caroline

Hi
No not tested for type 1 at all as thought not possible as I go my BG under control so quickly....just hasn't stayed that way!
I have just spoken to the nurse and he has said to stop the metformin which is a relief to be honest! He has prescribed semiglutide injections instead....have been reading about them and they appear to initially have the same side effects a the metformin but not as long lasting! So hoping for the best really!!

Caroline

Type 1 can come on more slowly in adults. If you cut your carbs right down at diagnosis, it’s possible that would mask your true results if you were to be Type 1. There are tests that help determine your diabetes type - Type 1 antibodies test and C Peptide. If you have none of the risk factors for Type 2 and are still struggling with highs it would be worth considering you might be misdiagnosed.

Type 1 can come on more slowly in adults. If you cut your carbs right down at diagnosis, it’s possible that would mask your true results if you were to be Type 1. There are tests that help determine your diabetes type - Type 1 antibodies test and C Peptide. If you have none of the risk factors for Type 2 and are still struggling with highs it would be worth considering you might be misdiagnosed.
Thanks I will talk to the nurse tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back