How high is too high??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annana15

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
My latest glucose reading - via blood test is 77mmol.
One doctor immediately referred me to hospital, 2nd doctor said, we will do another test in 6 weeks. it will probably go down. It has been going up for last 18 months, Is the reading too high? I feel my doctor is trying to put my symptoms and results down to my fibromyalgia. I disagree with this.
wwyd??
Thank you

Hi and welcome to the forum.
An HbA1c result of 77 is definitely higher than you would like especially if you have been diagnosed a few years but it is not massively high and I am quite surprised that they would think of referring you to a hospital clinic at that level. 48 is the level at which you get a diabetes diagnosis but some of us where over 100 at diagnosis and we have people here who have got levels down from that using the right dietary advice and come off medication, so do be aware that the correct diet can be an extremely powerful tool in managing Type 2 diabetes and contrary to popular belief, it isn't just about sugar but all carbohydrates.... so bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, breakfast cereals, pies and even fruits in all it's forms ie fresh, frozen, dried and juiced particularly, will all inflate your BG levels, as well as the obvious cakes and biscuits and chocolate and sweets Not saying you have to cut all those things out altogether but reducing portion size and frequency of eating them helps enormously.

Can you tell us what, if any, medication they have given you to treat your diabetes AND what lifestyle changes you have made so far to help manage your BG levels ie dietary changes and exercise?
Do you use steroids to treat the Fibromyalgia? Steroids will increase BG levels so can mean that extra medication or dietary changes need to be made to help keep levels reasonable. Pain also increases BG levels, so can be a bit of a double whammy with pain and steroids.

My Hba1c was 91 and was told to take the tablets, nothing more - different surgeries have different attitudes.

Mine was 83 and I was only told to take 1000mg of Metformin, lose weight and stop eating chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back