1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

How high is to high?

Discussion in 'Food/carb queries + recipes' started by bakebeans, May 23, 2019.

1. bakebeans

bakebeans Active Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    After reading and speaking to some of you on here yesterday I realised I’m testing at completely the wrong times. I’m doing what you suggest and testing before and after meals. This mornings breakfast was a bit of a rush I had a handful of krave and an apple not good I know but I’d ran out of my usual cereal. When I woke up I was at 7.9 tested when I got to work so 45 mins later and was 13.6 an hour after that was 7 the 2 hours later 5.4. Is that ok? I was told by my dr that as long as the level doesn’t stay high my body is doing the right thing but reading what levels you guys are at mines to high

2. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Sorry but I can't work out what test was when - what was your level just before starting to eat, and two hours later?

3. bakebeans

bakebeans Active Member

Type 2
    It was 7.9 when I woke up then 13.6 about 45 mins after I’d eaten breakfast at 6.45am then I checked again at 8am and it was 7 then 5.4 at 10am

Sorry lots of numbers and dots

4. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Sorry - still can't make head nor tail of it.
    What was your level just before starting to eat, and what was it two hours after that time?

5. bakebeans

bakebeans Active Member

Type 2
    7.9 then 2 hours later it was 7

6. Kaylz

Kaylz Well-Known Member

Type 1
    may I ask what your usual cereal is? I know many of the type 2's cant tolerate cereal at all, for testing food you should test before eating and then 2 hours after, although as you've found out that wouldn't show the full picture as people spike at different times depending what they have eaten etc xx

7. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member

Type 1
    That was. a good exercise,@bakebeans, you found out two valuable things.

Firstly, that your blood glucose is elevated in the mornings, probably because of the Dawn effect, but that eating breakfast stops it in its tracks and you revert to more normal levels from mid morning.

Secondly, that eating a very fast acting carbs meal sends your blood glucose shooting up, and you may want to try something less carby. (Although I'm type 1, same rules apply, too much fast acting carb and my levels shot through the roof because my insulin can’t keep up.)
    I often eat an avocado, or scrambled egg (or you can cook a batch of egg muffins the night before and eat one a day for a few days, of your pushed for time in the mornings) or full fat greek yogurt with some berries and mixed seeds stirred in.

8. bakebeans

bakebeans Active Member

Type 2
    i has a Tesco low fat bran flakes this morning was 7 when I woke up 2 hours later it was 7.4

Egg muffins sound good I’m at work for 6.30am so time seems to disappear in the mornings