How high can you go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As a T2, what has been your highest BS reading to date and how did you bring it down?

As a T2, what has been your highest BS reading to date and how did you bring it down?

i had a 9.2 last night.....well out of the blue ...i brought i down by not really eating ...not good i know but i wasnt at all hungrey but very thirsty...so drank alot of water ... 6.2 this morning best morning level yet !! :confused:
this is what does mean in that there are no patterns ..think all is going swimmingly and boomm...random high !

My highest ever reading after diagnosis (when still on gliclazide) was 16.7 after I'd munched my way through three bowls of fruit and fibre cereal (I was still in denial at the time!). In that instance, I ignored it and went to bed (it was an evening 'snack'! 🙄 Fortunately, two hours after breakfast the next day, I was back to a reasonable 7.3

After that, I've had a 10.2 (2 hrs after evening meal) and an 11.1 (2hrs after midday meal). In both cases I went for a 30min brisk walk and reduced them to 5.3 and 7.7 respectively. I was still on gliclazide for the 10.2, but was on metformin for the 11.1

Since then (the 11.1 was on 12th Dec, 2009), I have never tested above 9 even though I'm now just diet and exercise controlled. 🙂

Andy

Hi Carina,

My highest ever recorded reading since I started testing over eighteen months ago, was a 13.7 mmol/l one hour after finishing eating. However, I must have been a lot higher than that before I started testing in the days when my HbA1c was up at 9.4%.

This high reading was and not too far back - around a month ago - and came after eating sandwiches and pastry at a tea at a cricket match. I really didn't think that I'd eaten that much carbohydrate in the meal - however, I did realise that I was running the risk of going high by eating the type of foods that I did.

I just took it as another spot on the learning curve in controlling my blood glucose levels and got back to keeping my levels usually below 7.5 mmol/l at all times. I certainly won't be eating a similar meal again!

Best wishes - John

My highest reading was 11.1 the other week when i had some left over buffet from work for my tea and although it didn't seem a lot on the plate, it was high carb as it was sandwiches, sausage rolls etc so i now know that i need to steer clear from buffet type food :-(

My highest reading was 11.1 the other week when i had some left over buffet from work for my tea and although it didn't seem a lot on the plate, it was high carb as it was sandwiches, sausage rolls etc so i now know that i need to steer clear from buffet type food :-(

Hi guys - as some of you may know I was only diagnosed this week and I am a bit worried about results - when my doctor spoke to me last week about the blood tests that she took she said I was on 17, and then 20 - whereas you guys are talking about much lower numbers here like 6 and 7 - does that mean I am off the scale!

Hi guys - as some of you may know I was only diagnosed this week and I am a bit worried about results - when my doctor spoke to me last week about the blood tests that she took she said I was on 17, and then 20 - whereas you guys are talking about much lower numbers here like 6 and 7 - does that mean I am off the scale!

It's not unusual to be so high when you are newly-diagnosed Tommy - it will improve! I was 37 when I was diagnosed! 😱

The year before I started on insulin my BG's where mostly above 15 and I had a lot of readings in the 17 and 18 range but my highest was 19.6.

Ditto!

I was well in the 20's when diagnosed and bumped along in the teens before they finally put me on medication (started off with gliclazide).

Sorting my diet and exercising regularly (nothing too drastic!) now means pretty good bg control.

Andy 🙂

When I was started on Levemir (may 2008) I had fasting levels of 15 and before bed of 20. By june 2008 I was down to fasting of 10 and bedtime of 11. At the moment I get 5-6 fasting and 6 at bedtime, but it takes a lot of insulin.

Don't worry hun, you'll see that people are quoting numbers after diagnosis/treatment. A lot of us were high at the time of diagnosis (if you get what I mean, lol) but medication or diet control should bring the numbers down.

I was 19 point something at diagnosis, but am much lower now, 10 months later, so if I were to go up to 8 or 9 or higher, it would be noticeable, and need investigation, if I didn't know why).

xx

When I was first diagnosed my bs level was 27.8 needless to say was a bit of a shocker 😱 but after a few weeks went down to high teens! Afta 5 years my bs levels r up and down same as evry1 else, hey ho that's life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back