How far do you stick the needles in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezzz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I just wondered how far people stick their insulin needles in their tummies and thighs now?

I remember my father used to have mixtard 30/70 or 70/30 (I forget it's been over 30 years now) with quite a long skinny syringe and I think a 1 or 2 inch needle on it and he went quite deep say about an inch.

I remember when he went hyper after forgetting to take his insulin one night before a rather greasy chinese take away. I gave him a few units into his stomach near his belly button. I was only 10 at the time and had to run down to Gloria our neighbour (who had a Type 1 daughter) with his box of insulins, syringes and needles. Gloria showed me how and where to stick the needle in so I had a quick practice on myself (on an empty syringe) and then she filled an new syringe for me I ran back home and gave him the insulin. He came round and then got whisked off in an ambulance that Gloria had called.

I suppose if you have a pen you just go all the way in? I've never seen a pen (I don't intend to ever have to use one) in action.

i have the bd ultra fine needles and they are the 5mm ones so i just stick it all the way in.

When Alex was first diagnosed in hospital they were using 8mm on him and wondering why he was frightened! He is now on 5mm - only skinny so it makes a difference! You were brave doing an injection when you were 10 on someone else! Bev

Yeah my needles are the 5mm ones so its all the way in... they dont hurt at all because they are so thin.
I inject in my stomach with meals, in my thighs for my long lasting.

Yeah my needles are the 5mm ones so its all the way in... they dont hurt at all because they are so thin.
I inject in my stomach with meals, in my thighs for my long lasting.

lol thats how i inject to hehehehe

Hi Tez,

In the not so distant past hypodermic syringes and needles were used by diabetics, and so lots of training to inject on oranges, just to get beneath the skin (subcutaneous) into the fat layer.

Since then we’ve had syringes designed for diabetics, small, disposable and with ultra fine, relatively pain free needles, down to needles as long as to get to the fat without the need to judge the depth. And of course now to pens with their minute disposable needles.

When the needle is 5, 6 or 8mm long you insert all of the needle while injecting!

Hi Tez,

In the not so distant past hypodermic syringes and needles were used by diabetics, and so lots of training to inject on oranges, just to get beneath the skin (subcutaneous) into the fat layer.

Since then we?ve had syringes designed for diabetics, small, disposable and with ultra fine, relatively pain free needles, down to needles as long as to get to the fat without the need to judge the depth. And of course now to pens with their minute disposable needles.

When the needle is 5, 6 or 8mm long you insert all of the needle while injecting!

Welcome back Einstein.... ive missed you babe :D😉

Hi Tez,

Since then we?ve had syringes designed for diabetics, small, disposable and with ultra fine, relatively pain free needles, down to needles as long as to get to the fat without the need to judge the depth. And of course now to pens with their minute disposable needles.

welcome back david :D

When I broke my leg in Sweden they gave me some anti-clotting stuff that I was supposed to inject in my stomach for the two weeks following my discharge. The stuff was in pre-loaded, disposable syringes and the needles were probably about an inch long (25mm). I did it for a few days but found it painful and got some bad bruising - I was probably going in about half the needle length. I asked my doctor here what I could do about it and he said I didn't need the injections!

Funny to think that I have now given myself around 1500 injections, but the pens are much easier than those syringes were!

When I broke my leg in Sweden they gave me some anti-clotting stuff that I was supposed to inject in my stomach for the two weeks following my discharge. The stuff was in pre-loaded, disposable syringes and the needles were probably about an inch long (25mm). I did it for a few days but found it painful and got some bad bruising - I was probably going in about half the needle length. I asked my doctor here what I could do about it and he said I didn't need the injections!

Funny to think that I have now given myself around 1500 injections, but the pens are much easier than those syringes were!

i got given that stuff after my op on my knee the other year lol. its horrid stuff and your right to say that i does hurt lol

thinking about all these injections is making my stomach turn lol. Even though I do it every day and it's fine :D

Tez, I use 6mm needles and go all the way in!

I use 8mm needles and I'm not even sure how far I go in. I'm going to guess all the way, but I'll have to pay attention later

Likewise! Usually in tum and side of hips.

Im 5mm and go in all thee wayyyy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back