• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions about diabetes. Everyone manages their health differently. Please be mindful of this.

How exercise in old age prevents the immune system from declining

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Doing lots of exercise in older age can prevent the immune system from declining and protect people against infections, scientists say.

They followed 125 long-distance cyclists, some now in their 80s, and found they had the immune systems of 20-year-olds.

Prof Norman Lazarus, 82, of King's College London, who took part in and co-authored the research, said: "If exercise was a pill, everyone would be taking it.

"It has wide-ranging benefits for the body, the mind, for our muscles and our immune system."

The research was published in the journal Aging Cell.

Prof Janet Lord, director of the Institute of Inflammation and Ageing, at the University of Birmingham, and co-author of the research, said: "The immune system declines by about 2-3% a year from our 20s, which is why older people are more susceptible to infections, conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and, potentially, cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

Matt Cycle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Doing lots of exercise in older age can prevent the immune system from declining and protect people against infections, scientists say.

They followed 125 long-distance cyclists, some now in their 80s, and found they had the immune systems of 20-year-olds.

Prof Norman Lazarus, 82, of King's College London, who took part in and co-authored the research, said: "If exercise was a pill, everyone would be taking it.

"It has wide-ranging benefits for the body, the mind, for our muscles and our immune system."

The research was published in the journal Aging Cell.

Prof Janet Lord, director of the Institute of Inflammation and Ageing, at the University of Birmingham, and co-author of the research, said: "The immune system declines by about 2-3% a year from our 20s, which is why older people are more susceptible to infections, conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and, potentially, cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43308729

That's brilliant. Just hope I can be doing that at that age.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That was incredible - the immune systems of 19 year olds. Yes please - I wasn't diabetic at 19 ! LOL

everydayupsanddowns

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Saw this last night on the TV. Doesn’t have to be cycling either - any activity (dance, gardening, brisk walking) can have some of the same effects.

They showed cross-sectional scans of legs too and the cyclists leg was trim and muscly while a sedentary person’s leg had a thin section of muscle surrounded by a collar of fatty tissue. The difference was quite remarkable!

Bone density is a thing which cyclists don’t do so well on though, so perhaps a mixture of things would be the ideal.

Keeping active is the main thing though.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It’s my immune system that’s b******d me up over the years, so I’d rather not wind back the years. Thanks all the same:confused: