How effective is exercise for weight loss?

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It may be surprising that the answer to that is still not clear. A recent really interesting debate between Herman Pontzer (mostly ineffective) and Allison et al (modestly effective) summarised at the link below.

However, experts generally agree that eating less is generally much more effective than exercise for weight loss. But for weight loss maintenance, much more evidence for the effectiveness of exercise.

: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41366-022-01247-4

In recent correspondence Allison et al. [1] and Pontzer [2] debate the extent to which there is evidence for compensatory processes that minimize the influence physical activity has on energy balance and therefore how effective physical activity is as a strategy for weight loss.
The authors find common ground in their appraisal of whether the amount of energy expenditure caused by increased physical activity translates directly to weight loss in a linear fashion; it doesn’t, as if it did people should lose more weight than they do in trials in which physical activity is increased under close supervision [3].

However, the authors find less common ground on the overall utility of physical activity as a tool for weight loss. Because of the above considerations Pontzer is not convinced that physical activity promotes weight loss, suggesting that due to uncertainty in research to date, the effect of physical activity on weight loss may be non-existent or at best physical activity is a poor tool for weight loss. Conversely, Allison et al. argue that there is convincing evidence that physical activity causes modest weight loss, providing you look at data from the most compelling study designs; randomized control trials.

Physical activity alone will not be a magic bullet for weight loss, as Pontzer elegantly argues. However, as Allison et al. argue, physical activity is one tool that we can use to address obesity on an individual patient level and ideally in conjunction with a more powerful tool for weight loss; dietary intervention.

An interesting article. I have to agree with Herman Ponzer, in the past eighteen months pre-diabetes, diagnosis, I lost just over three stones in weight just by controlling my diet, no snacks, no junk food and smaller portions and the very minimum of exercise. It worked for me.....

For me, very similar to Barowman above, went low carb and exercise, got down to 65 kg from 83 odd. Got concerned I was loosing too much weight too fast, stuck with low carb, gave up additional exercise, weight stable at 65 now. I am fairly active though and still enjoy walks when I feel like it but not long ones every day anymore, running a large house, garden, several vehicles to maintain and a hyperactive daughter gives me more than enough I recon. I would agree that food, i.e. carb intake, for me anyway, played by far the biggest role in weight reduction, not that I was desperately overweight anyway, just weight in the wrong places, like the tummy! I must admit, without the tummy I can now see things I never knew I had

I lost ~20kg mainly by eating less but I'm pretty sure that reasonably brisk walking for a couple of hours every day has been the big factor in being able to maintain that loss for 3+ years.

Exercise does carry additional health and mental health benefits too, of course. :)

I use reduced food intake (I used to be a greedy pig) to lose weight, exercise for other benefits - get out of the office and think things over, improve muscles/insulin sensitivity... When people offer to join me I turn them down, as I stick my headphone on and mull over a work problem or a story I'm writing. By the time I get back to the office I've usually solved it!

I lost ~20kg mainly by eating less but I'm pretty sure that reasonably brisk walking for a couple of hours every day has been the big factor in being able to maintain that loss for 3+ years.

Agree, both work wonders for weight loss.

Also agree with Mike above about exercise having other health benefits like mental health, nothing beats good long walk in fresh air to clear the mind.

I've lost 6kg over the last few months - to the extent that one of my consultants played a futile hunt the cancer, but it's all because I've eaten less, smaller portions and such at mealtimes.And just eating two meals a day - brunch and dinner.

I can't exercise, so that is clearly not a vital part of losing weight.

Resurrecting an old thread in case someone out there finds this helpful...

In my experience I've lost a little more weight on weeks when I did more exercise compared to weeks when I've done less. I did and do run into 'compensatory processes' however, at least I think I do. If I exercise after a low calorie breakfast for example I find myself feeling lethargic, drained of energy, after I sit down for a while after the exercise. I also feel hungrier sooner. If I don't exercise after the same kind of breakfast I don't run into the sluggishness or the same level of hunger.

I don't give in to the hunger and I've taken to trying to 'shake off' the lethargy by moving around a bit whenever I feel it coming on. It's obvious that exercise consumes plenty of energy and so should help burn fat, so if this sluggish urge to sit still and not do anything taxing is the reason exercise and fat loss are not directly correlated, then I intend to fight it. Fight it I say! ;)

Back