How does this guy not get Diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I am always impressed with competitive eaters. How do they not gain weight or get diabetes?

I am always impressed with competitive eaters. How do they not gain weight or get diabetes?

Do they spend decades eating this way or just for “events”?
Because much to the disappointment of "comedians" the cause of diabetes is much more complex than just what you put in your moth,
Exactly. It is like asking why some obese people get it and not others.

That doesn’t change the fact what we eat is the most controllable aspect though, seeing as we can’t change our genetic susceptibility.

Maybe they do.

Adam Richman quit because of health issues, and depression at putting on weight.
Others pace themselves, and like any athlete, train for events, then reduce their eating later to compensate.

Similar to my philosophy.
I'm not as extreme, but I eat to maintain my weight, so calories can be very up and down, from day to day or more extended periods.

Nope. speak to Johnny Vegas.
Carbs and beer and no issues.
Past the ask when we developed it.
He's 52, I wasn't diagnosed until I was mid 50's . How old were you?

Me?
I was reversed even before you were diagnosed.
Eating normally ever since.

Interestingly I follow this guy on YouTube just for the fun of it. If you go back years through his videos he explains how he does it. It’s something like he does the comps then has a low intake for the following day or two before another one. So over the course of a week he balances out to say 2500 calories a day.

Interestingly I follow this guy on YouTube just for the fun of it. If you go back years through his videos he explains how he does it. It’s something like he does the comps then has a low intake for the following day or two before another one. So over the course of a week he balances out to say 2500 calories a day.

Yes, he's not scared of eating is he?
In fact, it's the classic way out ancestors ate.
Feast and famine.
Evolution in action.

The thing is people could have thought that about me, I was getting bigger and bigger but hadnt any idea I had this lurking inside me. It was a chance blood test for something else that picked it up, so if they rarely go to their doctor or get tested they may not realise they have it. I suspect if they randomly called everyone in for a blood test as a standard exercise, say when they get their flu vaccine etc, a lot more people would discover their blood sugar levels were higher than they should be.

A dear friend of mine, has just changed his life style of his own choice, he has no idea if he is diabetic, but weighs in at over 21 stone and used his dads blood pressure gage to check his own and when he found he had very high blood pressure decided to take action, so he hasnt visited his GP and could well also be diabetic but is losing weight now, very successfully. He is also an excellent cook, which is maybe why he gained as he makes amazing food, but he has changed to cooking low carb. low cal food, and he regularly pops round to me with low carb versions of things like Millionaire Shortbread etc. (they are truly amazing) I only have a tiny cube, they are about 50 calories and less than half the carbs of normal ones but taste as good or better, anyway gone off the subject here. The thing is I share similarities with him, in that I have yo yo dieted, we both had gall stones and our gall bladders removed, he has digestion issues like heartburn etc, but he has never been tested for diabetes.

I think far more people have it than realise and count myself as lucky to have been diagnosed when I was as it has literally changed/saved my life.

The thing is people could have thought that about me, I was getting bigger and bigger but hadnt any idea I had this lurking inside me. It was a chance blood test for something else that picked it up, so if they rarely go to their doctor or get tested they may not realise they have it. I suspect if they randomly called everyone in for a blood test as a standard exercise, say when they get their flu vaccine etc, a lot more people would discover their blood sugar levels were higher than they should be.

A dear friend of mine, has just changed his life style of his own choice, he has no idea if he is diabetic, but weighs in at over 21 stone and used his dads blood pressure gage to check his own and when he found he had very high blood pressure decided to take action, so he hasnt visited his GP and could well also be diabetic but is losing weight now, very successfully. He is also an excellent cook, which is maybe why he gained as he makes amazing food, but he has changed to cooking low carb. low cal food, and he regularly pops round to me with low carb versions of things like Millionaire Shortbread etc. (they are truly amazing) I only have a tiny cube, they are about 50 calories and less than half the carbs of normal ones but taste as good or better, anyway gone off the subject here. The thing is I share similarities with him, in that I have yo yo dieted, we both had gall stones and our gall bladders removed, he has digestion issues like heartburn etc, but he has never been tested for diabetes.

I think far more people have it than realise and count myself as lucky to have been diagnosed when I was as it has literally changed/saved my life.
Yeah, I was 41 when I went for a random blood cholesterol test for my work here in Taiwan. Usually its just a check for diseases but last time was different and I was totally surprised my trigs and blood sugars were high, as I was only slighlty overweight with a BMI of 25.1. That's only 0.1 out of range! The only good thing is the report never said I was diabetic just have a 51.96% chance of becoming diabetic. But I've changed my ways, and can hopefully reverse what was happening. I've reversed my weight, to the point now I have a BMI of 20.7 as of yesterday and weight of 62kg for a height of 173 cm male, which puts me on the low end of normal. How old were you when you found out about your blood sugars? Like you, I'm glad I found out in a way, but in a way ignorance is bliss, as it feels good to drink orange juice, and it feels good to eat croissants, chocolate cake, cookies, and bottomless fountain beverages, and all you can eat buffets. Knowing what I know now, its hard to look at peoples faces and think, they have a puffy face, their blood sugars are high, or they have a good jawline, their blood sugars must be low. How old were you when you got diagnosed?

I found out last year in July. I was seeing a dermatologist for unexplained itchy skin that wouldn’t heal. I had a blood test and it came back with a BG of 19. I then had another blood test that showed my HBA1c was 80. I also had high cholesterol and fatty liver. I was 57

I took immediate action lost 5 stone and my HBA1c is now 40 and my weight normal. Also no more itchy skin

Yeah, I was 41 when I went for a random blood cholesterol test for my work here in Taiwan. Usually its just a check for diseases but last time was different and I was totally surprised my trigs and blood sugars were high, as I was only slighlty overweight with a BMI of 25.1. That's only 0.1 out of range! The only good thing is the report never said I was diabetic just have a 51.96% chance of becoming diabetic. But I've changed my ways, and can hopefully reverse what was happening. I've reversed my weight, to the point now I have a BMI of 20.7 as of yesterday and weight of 62kg for a height of 173 cm male, which puts me on the low end of normal. How old were you when you found out about your blood sugars? Like you, I'm glad I found out in a way, but in a way ignorance is bliss, as it feels good to drink orange juice, and it feels good to eat croissants, chocolate cake, cookies, and bottomless fountain beverages, and all you can eat buffets. Knowing what I know now, its hard to look at peoples faces and think, they have a puffy face, their blood sugars are high, or they have a good jawline, their blood sugars must be low. How old were you when you got diagnosed?
I am intrigued by your comment about a puffy face v a good jawline. Is that just weight or is the face a way to identify diabetes

I am intrigued by your comment about a puffy face v a good jawline. Is that just weight or is the face a way to identify diabetes

I think it's just a way to identify fat people?
Or someone having an allergic reaction?

Vid likely edited, few of these characters on YouTube supposedly overindulging on food, read into it what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back