How does one deal with a meal after a basal test shows its too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Sorry guys me again. So lowered my basal by half again this morning after yeterday afternoons test showed me it was too high. Ran a test this morning as im supecting my levermir takes of just before lunch. And i was right. Held level for the 4 hours then dropped a whole mmol with me sat of my backside doing sod all. Im sure it will go another mmol and carry-on going until about 6pm tonight as yesyerday when its then taken over by my evening dose that holds level.
How do i cope with having some lunch and my prebolus. Last time this happened and i didnt realise what was happenibg i was in hypo just after my lunch which took an hour to come out off and ve comfortable. Ive not had breakfast so need some lunch.

Thinking i need to have something that will match half of my ratio in carbs then i wont need bolus insulin with no spike as the basal will take care of it.

Getting really concerned about how many meals im missing at the mo due to my basal need dropping every day.

Are you asking how to bolus for lunch, knowing that your basal at that time is too much?

how much did it drop by during your latest test of the afternoon time period?

As you cant target that speicific time due to the limitations of injections, you will need to test the lunch time ratio so that any compensation can be factored in to your ratio....and possible pre bolus timing....

Haha testing my bolus is difficult at the moment. I know it needs adjusting anyway but im not getting a chance to with my basal changing like it is on a daily basis by half a unit a day! My problem is the prebolus time i now have to do with lyumjev . At the moment its very hitand miss with more misses and sky highs as i dont know how to tackle it. I suppose i just hold out until it settles, chances are by minday ill be on zero units for my basal.

Always sort the basal before bolus, so if prebolusing for lunch is making you low then don’t prebolus, just eat your lunch. Then repeat the basal adjustments and basal testing until that’s sorted before testing your bolus ratios and timing.

Always sort the basal before bolus, so if prebolusing for lunch is making you low then don’t prebolus, just eat your lunch. Then repeat the basal adjustments and basal testing until that’s sorted before testing your bolus ratios and timing. Lucy
Thanks Lucy, that just dawned on me and thats actually what i do for my breakfast the day after ive worked a bar and on on feet for 6 hours as i know that if i prebolus ill go the wrong direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back