How does diabetes work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somtam

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Good afternoon.
Can anyone please help me. I'm a new member and showing signs of excessive thirst but that is all. Had the blood glucose test which is normal so waiting for the A1c test.
I'm trying to understand diabetes.
Let's assume that someone's blood sugar is high and they have diabetes then if they were to eat properly avoiding most sugar and carbs then their blood sugar falls then why have they not reduced being a diabetic?
I really don't understand and trying to get my head around this.
Thank you

Welcome to the forum.
The HbA1C is the test used for diagnosis and is an average blood glucose over the previous 3 months. Excessive thirst and as a consequence frequent loo visits is a sign of high blood glucose as the body is trying to get rid of the excess.
The test you had I assume was a finger prick test and depending on when it was done could well show a normal as people blood glucose will vary throughout the day and will mostly be affected by what they eat and drink.
Type 2 diabetes is when the body cannot cope with carbohydrates either because you are not producing enough insulin or your body cannot use it efficiently to handle the amount of carbs eaten. This can be treated by dietary changes and or various medications.
However dietary and life style changes can improve the situation and people can get their glucose level to normal (remission) there is always the possibility that if that lifestyle is not maintained their blood glucose level may go up again.
This is quite different to Type 1 diabetes which is an autoimmune condition.
Have a look at the Learning Zone (orange tab at the top) for explanation.

Good afternoon.
Can anyone please help me. I'm a new member and showing signs of excessive thirst but that is all. Had the blood glucose test which is normal so waiting for the A1c test.
I'm trying to understand diabetes.
Let's assume that someone's blood sugar is high and they have diabetes then if they were to eat properly avoiding most sugar and carbs then their blood sugar falls then why have they not reduced being a diabetic?
I really don't understand and trying to get my head around this.
Thank you

There are different types of diabetes @Somtam so there’s not one answer to your question. If you’re talking about Type 2, sometimes it can be put into remission, but sometimes it can’t no matter how carefully the person eats. If you’re talking about Type 1, then there’s currently no cure. Type 1s need insulin even if they eat nothing and without insulin they would die.

Wait and see what your HbA1C result is. Even if you’re not diabetic, if you feel your diet isn’t the best, it would be worth you improving it for general health reasons anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back