How do I reduce ketones if blood sugar normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I wonder if anyone can help please. Since yesterday afternoon my blood ketones have been around 1.8 and my blood sugars 4-10. Originally I thought the ketones were because I hadn’t eaten much (I’ve had a reduced appetite for the last three months and yesterday was particularly bad).
So yesterday afternoon I had small can of sugary coke for immediate carbs and in the evening about 30g carbs for dinner. It’s now midnight and I can’t face the thought of eating anything else but ketones still 1.8. I drink loads of liquid each day.
Do I need to worry about ketones if BG normal and if I do what should I do about it? You’d think I’d know after 53 years of diabetes.

Morning AJ.
Normally you do not normally associate high ketones or DKA with normal BG levels,however please be aware of a condition called Euglycaemic DKA or eDKA which is where you can have BG levels within the normal range. This needs to be treated the same as any DKA.
I am not saying you have this as you need to seek medical clarification if worried but I wanted to make you aware of it.

I’d have a biscuit or two @AJLang I find there’s a daily carb minimum that you need to have to keep the ketones away. Ketones are potentially serious at high levels whatever your blood sugar.

We’ve always been told to treat the ketones and have more carbs if necessary to keep BG up. Insulin tends to treat the ketones first before being used for BG. It is better for you to have some carbs even if you have limited appetite as this can happen. Is there a clear reason why your appetite has been so limited as that can be cause by multiple things and shouldn’t be ignored.

Thank you very much everyone. Thats great advice. I’ve tried to have more carbs and had a packet of crisps at 3am (not ideal but only thing upstairs that wasn’t sugary Coke or Glucojuice). Then had half slice toast with jam when I woke up at 8.30am.

Thankfully ketones is now 0.4 but I’m having to force myself to eat, the nausea and bloating is awful.

@Thebearcametoo I’m assuming that it’s the worsening of the gastroparesis which was diagnosed 14 years ago.
Usually the gastroparesis flares up for a few weeks and then goes back to normal. But this time it improving and without trying I’ve lost 11 lbs since the end of October. As I’m maxed out on the medication I’ve been told previously that the next line of “treatment” is having pureed food/liquids. At least I’m not at that stage yet 😉 Fortunately I can afford to lose a few stone. Moving forward in order to get enough carbs to prevent high ketones, in addition to what I can eat, I will make myself have flavoured milk drinks and try to have the jam with half slice toast or something similar for breakfast each morning. At times though I feel like I’m force feeding myself but fortunately my partner makes really nice food for me 🙂

Ps I will keep monitoring my ketones whilst I work out how many carbs I need to keep them at a lower range.

Sorry hear you are having more struggles, sending you a hug!
Thank you very much Grovesy. Wishing you a lovely Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back