How Diabetes is Diagnosed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shafiulbashar

Diabetes is diagnosed by taking a medical history, conducting a physical exam, and observing symptoms. A person with diabetes will typically exhibit signs of high blood sugar levels like frequent urination, thirst, excessive hunger, or blurred vision. Other common symptoms include weight loss and changes in skin color.

One of the first steps in diagnosing diabetes is to conduct a physical exam. The person’s doctor will take their blood glucose level and check for signs of dehydration such as dry eyes or mouth. They may also perform other tests such as a fasting blood glucose test, which checks for low blood sugar levels before eating, and an oral glucose tolerance test, which monitors how well the body processes glucose after being given a large amount of glucose intravenously (IV).

A urine test can be used to check for proteinuria which is a sign of kidney damage in patients with diabetes. This sign can be seen by proteins leaking from the kidney into the urine. An elevated C-peptide level indicates that the pancreas isn’t producing enough insulin or that there is low insulin production. Other common test results include elevated blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia), high cholesterol levels, and elevated triglyceride levels.

Treatment depends on many factors including age, amount of blood sugar variability (how much insulin is needed to maintain normal blood sugar levels), and, how long it has been since diagnosis

I note that you are posting from Bangladesh. We are a UK based forum but foreign members are welcome, diabetes is diabetes no matter where you live. Protocols for diagnosis and treatment do vary from country to country and this must be bourne in mind when reflecting on comments about these issues.

Welcome to the forum @shafiulbashar

As @Docb says things will vary in different countries.
For me the determining, diagnosed in my 50s, the determining factor for identifying T1 in addition to the symptoms that you described was the rapid weight loss (9.5 kg in a week) and the Gad antibody test. As I was in DKA I was treated immediately with insulin and soon learnt the daily regime of testing and injecting.

Our annual checks are much the same whichever type of diabetes we have, with a good MoT each year along with an HbA1c in between at 6 months.

Welcome to the forum @shafiulbashar

As @Docb says things will vary in different countries.
For me the determining, diagnosed in my 50s, the determining factor for identifying T1 in addition to the symptoms that you described was the rapid weight loss (9.5 kg in a week) and the Gad antibody test. As I was in DKA I was treated immediately with insulin and soon learnt the daily regime of testing and injecting.

Our annual checks are much the same whichever type of diabetes we have, with a good MoT each year along with an HbA1c in between at 6 months.
Unfortunately, diabetes treatment does not just vary in different countries - it varies within the UK.
For example, I have only once had a HBa1C between my MoTs and the MoTs are often more than 12 months apart.
Thankfully, much of my Type 1 care is self management so the less frequent appointments is little for me but I appreciate that is not the case for everyone.

Unfortunately, diabetes treatment does not just vary in different countries - it varies within the UK.
Quite true, as anyone who contributes to this forum will have picked up. Things are not helped by the simple fact that although you can generate some broad groupings, many patient related factors may have to be taken into account when determining best treatment. On top of that, you have the physicians level of experience, their prejudices and the constraints put on them by their pay masters to contend with.

Diabetes is diagnosed by taking a medical history, conducting a physical exam, and observing symptoms. A person with diabetes will typically exhibit signs of high blood sugar levels like frequent urination, thirst, excessive hunger, or blurred vision. Other common symptoms include weight loss and changes in skin color.

One of the first steps in diagnosing diabetes is to conduct a physical exam. The person’s doctor will take their blood glucose level and check for signs of dehydration such as dry eyes or mouth. They may also perform other tests such as a fasting blood glucose test, which checks for low blood sugar levels before eating, and an oral glucose tolerance test, which monitors how well the body processes glucose after being given a large amount of glucose intravenously (IV).

A urine test can be used to check for proteinuria which is a sign of kidney damage in patients with diabetes. This sign can be seen by proteins leaking from the kidney into the urine. An elevated C-peptide level indicates that the pancreas isn’t producing enough insulin or that there is low insulin production. Other common test results include elevated blood glucose levels (hyperglycemia), high cholesterol levels, and elevated triglyceride levels.

Treatment depends on many factors including age, amount of blood sugar variability (how much insulin is needed to maintain normal blood sugar levels), and, how long it has been since diagnosis
Here in the UK diabetes is diagnosed by you receiving a text message from your GP who won't see you face to face. After a blood test reluctantly issued after I had an ambulance ride last year! NO examination..... no chat....

Here in the UK diabetes is diagnosed by you receiving a text message from your GP who won't see you face to face. After a blood test reluctantly issued after I had an ambulance ride last year! NO examination..... no chat....
I am sorry to read of your experience but I don't believe it is true to say that is the way diabetes is diagnosed for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back