How can you tell how your body is coping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Even though I’ve 7 months post diagnosis I still feel like I know nowhere near the information about type 2 diabetes and my own type 2 diabetes that I need to know. I’m often wondering how my body is coping and what is actually going on and is there anything you should specifically keep an eye on? I’ve had quite a carb heavy lunch today nearly 40g and my pre lunch bg was 5.8 and 2 hours post meal I’m 6.7 I think that’s ok but the question is after my latest hba1 result of 38 is my body now trying to cope with the carbs better than it would have been at diagnosis when my hba1c was 89? I think I’m doing ok ish I just wondered what other peoples experiences are? I’m not on any meds at all (except anti depressants) so I’m looking at this like whatever my body is doing it’s doing it unaided by any medication - what’s on my mind is …..by me getting a grip on myself and shedding the ridiculous excess weight have I given my body a break and let it work a bit more freely and effectively?

Hi Sarah, what sort of information are you looking for?
Your pre and post meal BGs look good to me, they've not gone up by more than 2, and are under 7. Your lastest HbA1c looks good too - you're under under the threashold to be pre diabetic, and loads better than you were at diagnosis.
Are you wanting to know how your pancreas and liver are doing after you've given them "time off"? I understand that you can do a glucose tolerance test:
"The fasting blood glucose test (collected after an 8 to 10 hour fast) is used to screen for and diagnose diabetes. A 2-hour 75 g oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT / GTT) may also be used to diagnose diabetes (and acromegaly). To be certain of a diagnosis of diabetes if the person has no symptoms the test should be repeated (fasting glucose, random glucose or HbA1c) at different times (e.g. within two weeks). In the OGTT, the person has a fasting glucose measurement, then drinks a glucose drink to 'challenge' their system, and has another glucose test two hours later."
so you could get a drink with 75g of glucose in and test your BG after two hours to see how you've coped.

I'm interested in finding out for myself, but not got round to it yet, and I'm not sure how valid it would be as I'm on metformin.
You sound like you're doing really well to me, due to your hard work 🙂

Hi Sarah, what sort of information are you looking for?
Your pre and post meal BGs look good to me, they've not gone up by more than 2, and are under 7. Your lastest HbA1c looks good too - you're under under the threashold to be pre diabetic, and loads better than you were at diagnosis.
Are you wanting to know how your pancreas and liver are doing after you've given them "time off"? I understand that you can do a glucose tolerance test:
"The fasting blood glucose test (collected after an 8 to 10 hour fast) is used to screen for and diagnose diabetes. A 2-hour 75 g oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT / GTT) may also be used to diagnose diabetes (and acromegaly). To be certain of a diagnosis of diabetes if the person has no symptoms the test should be repeated (fasting glucose, random glucose or HbA1c) at different times (e.g. within two weeks). In the OGTT, the person has a fasting glucose measurement, then drinks a glucose drink to 'challenge' their system, and has another glucose test two hours later."
so you could get a drink with 75g of glucose in and test your BG after two hours to see how you've coped.

I'm interested in finding out for myself, but not got round to it yet, and I'm not sure how valid it would be as I'm on metformin.
You sound like you're doing really well to me, due to your hard work 🙂
I has glucose tolerance tests with all 3 of my pregnancies due to my size and all came back fine, now that I am a diabetic and I’ve only just managed to get my hba1c out of the diabetic thresholds I don’t think I’m brave enough to have a glucose tolerance test as I know it takes like 5 years for your pancreas to repair itself I’m just guessing that this is a good thing that I’ve lowered it without the help of any meds? But because all thoughts go through my mind and I’m only guessing at what’s going on I’m finding that a bit unsettling. My poor husband is constantly trying to reassure me that I’m going to be ok but I’m always having a melt down at him telling him he just doesn’t understand because he’s not diabetic it’s seriously put a massive strain on my marriage and it’s not my husbands doing it’s 100% mine x

Whatever you're doing now with your diet looks really good with your BG and your HbA1c. I read that it can take up to two years for the pancreas to recover, so it's early days for us both. It's a really good thing that you got your BG down without medication, you should be really proud of yourself for that.
If you're worrying about your diabetes, perhaps phone the Diabetes UK helpline and talk to a someone to put your mind at rest - they will understand what you're going through and how it's a worry.
Can you get support from your GP about your worries? I'm thinking something like CBT or counselling, so that you've got an independent person to talk to about it.

You're doing everything you can to keep your diabetes under control - focus on that and how far you've come from when you were diagnosed. You can't do anything more than you've done, and your numbers are excellent. Be kind to yourself, Sarah

After 5 years of low carbing my thyroid, formerly regarded as defunct, is now recovering. I am taking lower doses of Thyroxine each time I am checked.
I can see that I am reacting fairly normally to my intake of carbs and my own insulin as I see an increase in weight if I increase the carbs - that is normal for me, has been all my adult life. Having a meal of 40gm of carbs and then seeing a blood glucose under 7 is nothing to worry about.

Well I have to say - I fully agree with you not wanting to challenge your pancreas with an OGTT yet - if ever again.

I don't think a diabetes consultant would recommend it either, frankly - though what Windy told you may indeed be true, no way Pedro are they ever supposed to use the OGTT method to diagnose diabetes these days either as far as I know!

I agree with you ringing the helpline and having a chat, but what you could do if your brain really cannot be satisfied unless you can see the proof shown before your very eyes, is to have a think about having a Libre sensor for a fortnight - free if they're still offering samples, otherwise it will cost £40-ish.

Well I have to say - I fully agree with you not wanting to challenge your pancreas with an OGTT yet - if ever again.

I don't think a diabetes consultant would recommend it either, frankly - though what Windy told you may indeed be true, no way Pedro are they ever supposed to use the OGTT method to diagnose diabetes these days either as far as I know!

I agree with you ringing the helpline and having a chat, but what you could do if your brain really cannot be satisfied unless you can see the proof shown before your very eyes, is to have a think about having a Libre sensor for a fortnight - free if they're still offering samples, otherwise it will cost £40-ish.
Do you think my body is coping reasonably well at the moment bearing in mind the previous damage I’ve clearly done to myself? Would your line of thought be the same that it’s definitely positive to have lowered from 89 to 38 without any help from meds? Or does taking meds to lower it not really make a difference. And just to make totally clear I’m not advocating anyone not to take meds if needed I’m not saying that all I would hate anyone to ever think that’s what I’m saying. I would just rather not if my body can cope without that’s all, I think the most distressing thing is that I can’t ever get rid of this thing yes I know the gp is right in that I’m not actively diabetic at the moment but that doesn’t mean that this won’t come back. It’s totally mashing my head and I think I’m going to have to admit defeat and go and see about making arrangement me to see a councillor like my nurse suggested when I was diagnosed. My last glucose tolerance test was 10 years ago and like the previous 2 came back perfect so when pregnant my body was obviously not even struggling back then and then bang 10 years later hba1c 89

Whatever you're doing now with your diet looks really good with your BG and your HbA1c. I read that it can take up to two years for the pancreas to recover, so it's early days for us both. It's a really good thing that you got your BG down without medication, you should be really proud of yourself for that.
If you're worrying about your diabetes, perhaps phone the Diabetes UK helpline and talk to a someone to put your mind at rest - they will understand what you're going through and how it's a worry.
Can you get support from your GP about your worries? I'm thinking something like CBT or counselling, so that you've got an independent person to talk to about it.

You're doing everything you can to keep your diabetes under control - focus on that and how far you've come from when you were diagnosed. You can't do anything more than you've done, and your numbers are excellent. Be kind to yourself, Sarah
My nurse suggested councilling just after as I was diagnosed when I sat in her consulting room breaking my heart for 45 minutes she thinks I lose perspective and she says it’s all to do with me watching what happened to my mother in law. I just feel like I’m working so hard to keep on top of this I wish there was some way of knowing other than waiting for my next hba1c to say yeah you’re still doing ok here. I’m now 8st smaller than I was when I got married 13 years ago and I look completely different and that’s unsettling me a bit aswell I think x

Why not?
As a type 2, it's the only real way to perform a controlled test as to whether you have reversed diabetes, and have a normal insulin response.
I certainly wanted to do one in myself to confirm it.I
And the figures up there look good to me!

My nurse suggested councilling just after as I was diagnosed when I sat in her consulting room breaking my heart for 45 minutes she thinks I lose perspective and she says it’s all to do with me watching what happened to my mother in law. I just feel like I’m working so hard to keep on top of this I wish there was some way of knowing other than waiting for my next hba1c to say yeah you’re still doing ok here. I’m now 8st smaller than I was when I got married 13 years ago and I look completely different and that’s unsettling me a bit aswell I think x
Your home testing of your BG gives you an idea of how you're doing, can you use that as a guide between HbA1c tests?
Please consider taking up your nurse's offer to arrange councelling, having someone to talk to about your worries and put them into context could be useful. You seem to be carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders, sharing the load of that with someone impartial for a bit is worth trying at least.

It is hard work to keep on the straight and narrow, and you are doing well keeping on track. Use your home BG meter to keep an eye on your bloods between HbA1c tests.
But please talk to someone about your worries, rather than let them trouble you all the time. Hugs and positive thoughts, Sarah

Well not all the tablets they prescribe for T2, lower the BG. For instance the first choice common drug is Metformin. That doesn't directly affect the BG whatsoever - what it does do however is a) help the body use its own insulin more efficiently and b) hinder the liver chucking out now unhelpful because you have diabetes amounts of stored glucagon.

So - frankly if you had 8 stone to lose, you must have been so overweight then, that could not possibly have been healthy - and you must look and feel so different it's not surprising it has unsettled you - but surely knowing that you are healthier has to be a good thing, a positive, not a negative one?

@sarahb83 It genuinely sounds like you’re doing really well. You’ve made a massive improvement to your HbA1C, your body is able to cope with a reasonable amount of carbs with no issues, and you’ve lost weight. That’s all brilliant 😎

To answer your question, yes, losing that weight would have helped your body’s ability to cope and improved your insulin sensitivity 🙂 Your HbA1C is great and you’re testing your blood sugar so you’re keeping an eye on things. Again, that’s excellent.

Don’t let the intrusive worries steal your confidence when you should be very proud of yourself. You’re doing everything right. If you feel you need a counsellor, then do speak to one. They can be helpful in organising your thoughts and taking the sting out of any extreme fears.

Why not 75g carb in one hit? I for one have very rarely eaten or drunk that much carb, especially fast acting carb - in one go in the last 72 years either before diabetes or since, so wouldn't wish to do it or think it was a good idea for anyone.

There are people of course who eat an entire pizza and think nothing of it - seem to think that's 'normal' -that's why there's practically an obesity epidemic!

Why not 75g carb in one hit? I for one have very rarely eaten or drunk that much carb, especially fast acting carb - in one go in the last 72 years either before diabetes or since, so wouldn't wish to do it or think it was a good idea for anyone.

There are people of course who eat an entire pizza and think nothing of it - seem to think that's 'normal' -that's why there's practically an obesity epidemic!

75g carbs isn't that much. My breakfast is usually 65-70g (of different kinds - melon, grains, fruit) & many many people eat more than that with zero problems.

Also: Carbs aren't the cause of the obesity epidemic. The bad thing about that whole pizza isn't "carbs" - it's that it has way too many calories versus nutrients.

It took me to read Roy Taylor's book 'Life Without Diabetes' to fully understand what was going on in terms of TD2 - 1 year on from starting my weight loss journey, I still feel I have to keep an eye on my 'Pancreas' so to speak - Liver sorts itself out pretty quickly - Pancreas a lot longer - a year on and I'd say mine has 'recovered' from all those years of fat around it - I'm not sure how long it would take to curl up again if I slipped back into my old ways, but I'm not looking to gamble on that....

@sarahb83 - you're doing great - keep it up! 😉

You got diagnosed with Diabetes, took action, lost weight (which obviously means you adopted a healthier lifestyle), your blood sugar was 6.7 after 40g of carbs with no meds/injections. And... You did that in just 7 months!!

Your Husband is wrong, you're not going to be okay, you're already doing way, way better than just 'okay'.

Have you been on antidepressants long? Just asking because they make you anxious AF when you first start taking them. I normally suffer anxiety for the first month or so on antidepressants. If you've been taking them a long time, you may want to speak to your Doctor about adjusting your dose.

As far as what you've achieved, I'd be so damn proud of myself if I did what you did in 7 months.

When I was little in the early 1950s, because there wasn't that much food in general let alone choice of it, it was always drummed into us that we had to eat everything on our plate. So the boring thing on it (ie the spuds with a dinner) I got eaten first so I could eat the meat and veg slower and really enjoy it. Pizza - it's only the topping that is likely to be interesting, not the base. Same as a sandwich - it's the filling that matters, NOT the carrier, it's only stodge and i can certainly do without stodge, thanks.

I wouldn't know how to consume that much fruit in one go. All 'sweet' - no savoury. No thanks.

You got diagnosed with Diabetes, took action, lost weight (which obviously means you adopted a healthier lifestyle), your blood sugar was 6.7 after 40g of carbs with no meds/injections. And... You did that in just 7 months!!

Your Husband is wrong, you're not going to be okay, you're already doing way, way better than just 'okay'.

Have you been on antidepressants long? Just asking because they make you anxious AF when you first start taking them. I normally suffer anxiety for the first month or so on antidepressants. If you've been taking them a long time, you may want to speak to your Doctor about adjusting your dose.

As far as what you've achieved, I'd be so damn proud of myself if I did what you did in 7 months.
I’ve been on anti depressants on and off since I was 20 (I’m 38 now) 5 years ago when I went back on them again I was told I couldn’t come off them (every time I’m put on them I’m desperate not to be taking them) I have 2 daughters age 10 and 14 and a 19 year old son who is disabled he has global developmental delay so it can be extremely challenging.

It took me to read Roy Taylor's book 'Life Without Diabetes' to fully understand what was going on in terms of TD2 - 1 year on from starting my weight loss journey, I still feel I have to keep an eye on my 'Pancreas' so to speak - Liver sorts itself out pretty quickly - Pancreas a lot longer - a year on and I'd say mine has 'recovered' from all those years of fat around it - I'm not sure how long it would take to curl up again if I slipped back into my old ways, but I'm not looking to gamble on that....

@sarahb83 - you're doing great - keep it up! 😉
I hope I can be as successful as you’re being at managing it x

I did joes 30 minute sweat class (it’s 30 minutes of vigorous exercise) this morning been a while since I’ve done that one and I was shocked I barely even broke a sweat so that appears to not be enough for me now back in September I was ready to collapse after 20 minutes of it so my fitness is much improved from what it was and I know that there will be a lot less strain in my heart from shedding the excess weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back