How can this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loobyloo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have just been to Aldi and picked up a pack of sugar free fruit foam sweets whilst waiting at the counter to pay. I love fruit foams and got quite excited i may be able to eat these later for a treat. Then when reading carbs online it states 82g of carbs per 75g pack. Rather confused...can someone explain how this can be?
I also check another sugar free fruit foam by another brand and again the carbs seems to be higher than the size of pack.

Be careful! Sugar free means sweeteners have been used, usually the type tthat act as a laxative if you eat more than 2 - 3 in a day.
Working our carbs per 100g is pretty common, it is the way they do it - can be a pain, I know. I end up with pen and paper to try and work out carbs for one sweet.

I googled the ingredients:
Maltitols, Erythritol, Steviol Glycosides; Modified Potato Starch, Acid: Citric Acid; Hydrolysed Pea Protein, Potato Protein, Coconut Oil, Glazing Agent: Carnauba Wax; Plant Extracts (Safflower Concentrate, Radish Concentrate, Carrot Concentrate, Blackcurrant Concentrate), Flavourings.

Maltitols and potato starch are carbs, and they look like the main ingredients (they put the most common ingredients first).

I made a similar mistake in M and S, bought a little tin of sugar free sweets and didn't read the back. They were about 95% carbs, so I threw them in the bin :(

By the way, just checked on my food diary and it works out as 25g = 54 cals and 27 carbs

Hi, I bought a packet of these whilst in queue too. The bag is 75 g and for 25g it says 20g. No added sugar as made with several sweeteners but I assume it’s the potato starch causing higher carbs and calories than I was expecting. I shan’t buy again as not that nice, useful for laxative effects!

I have just been to Aldi and picked up a pack of sugar free fruit foam sweets whilst waiting at the counter to pay. I love fruit foams and got quite excited i may be able to eat these later for a treat. Then when reading carbs online it states 82g of carbs per 75g pack. Rather confused...can someone explain how this can be?
I also check another sugar free fruit foam by another brand and again the carbs seems to be higher than the size of pack.
Sugar free does NOT mean carb free.

The carb content will be per 100g, not per pack. I guess the potato starch used in them will be the bulk of the carbs.

Dammit thats my Saturday night treat in the bin then :( I knew about the laxative effect of sweeteners. Just couldnt figure where all these carbs are from reading ingredients. Yes saw the potatoe starch but thought can be that much in a small bag. I was obviously wrong.

Not sure but have a very vague memory of the sugar free sweets you count half the carb value so if 90gm/100 then you count as 45/100.

Not sure but have a very vague memory of the sugar free sweets you count half the carb value so if 90gm/100 then you count as 45/100.
Is this what you are thinking of: from google
Foods labeled "sugar free" or "no sugar added" might seem like "free" foods you can eat as much of as you like, but overeating them can make your blood sugar levels very high. If you're counting carbs and the food has more than 5 grams of sugar alcohols, subtract half of the sugar alcohol grams from total carb grams.

Maybe just wishful thinking

Is this what you are thinking of: from google
Foods labeled "sugar free" or "no sugar added" might seem like "free" foods you can eat as much of as you like, but overeating them can make your blood sugar levels very high. If you're counting carbs and the food has more than 5 grams of sugar alcohols, subtract half of the sugar alcohol grams from total carb grams.

Maybe just wishful thinking
More than likely as I said a very vague memory 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back