How Belly Fat Differs from Thigh Fat, and Why It Matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Men tend to store fat in the abdominal area, but don't usually have much in the way of hips or thighs. Women, on the other hand, are more often pear-shaped -- storing more fat on their hips and thighs than in the belly.

Why are women and men shaped differently?

The answer still isn't clear, but it's an issue worth investigating, says Steven Smith, M.D., director of the Florida Hospital -- Sanford-Burnham Translational Research Institute for Metabolism and Diabetes. That's because belly fat is associated with higher risks of heart disease and diabetes. On the other hand, hip and thigh fat don't seem to play a special role in these conditions.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130111092721.htm

Hey that's weird Alan.

I've very nearly got osteoporosis in my hips. Some thinning in lower spine but just about the right amount for my age. It's based on a healthy woman at 30 so you expect to see some density loss from there on in usually, just hope it isn't bad enough to be a prob - spine isn't, hips are.

Now ....... I always had good legs. Enough fat to cover it all, not too much. Last 5+ years I've lost the fat on my thighs. Horrid wrinkly skin on inner thighs like when people have lost half their body weight. TMI but anyway it's vile and I hate them. (Teenage grandchild shrieked 12 months ago when she saw em 'Grandma - where has all that extra SKIN come from?' - thanks Lauren ....) At the same time my tummy - and I've always had a fat tummy, used to joke even when I was (practically) emaciated just before diagnosis (lost nearly a stone and I was only just over 8stone anyway) I still needed liposuction! - has got fatter.

And now my bone scan says my hips have a T score of minus 2.4. Not osteoporosis yet - for O it needs to be minus 2.5 or under ........ so it's close. Too close.

BUT - what the hell can you do about it ? Can you exercise specifically for that bit, and does it actually remove the fat, or only tone up the muscles so it looks better? Doctors on Monday anyway, so I'll ask him. Want to bet that he won't know?

...BUT - what the hell can you do about it ? Can you exercise specifically for that bit, and does it actually remove the fat, or only tone up the muscles so it looks better? Doctors on Monday anyway, so I'll ask him. Want to bet that he won't know?

Hope he surprises you with the wealth of his knowledge! 🙂

I only gain fat on my mid-section. When I was diagnosed I was down to the 8st I used to be in my twenties - and had the same 28 inch waist 😱 Currently, carrying 3.5 st. extra and my waist is 35 inches - no extra weight anywhere but my torso, mostly spare tyre. I do regular abdominal exercises but it doesn't seem to make much impact, so I really don't know the best way to remove it. I know that if my weight dips significantly I start to look a bit scrawny these days, which is a new experience in my 50s, I guess the decades are catching up with me! 😱

Hope he surprises you with the wealth of his knowledge! 🙂

I only gain fat on my mid-section. When I was diagnosed I was down to the 8st I used to be in my twenties - and had the same 28 inch waist 😱 Currently, carrying 3.5 st. extra and my waist is 35 inches - no extra weight anywhere but my torso, mostly spare tyre. I do regular abdominal exercises but it doesn't seem to make much impact, so I really don't know the best way to remove it. I know that if my weight dips significantly I start to look a bit scrawny these days, which is a new experience in my 50s, I guess the decades are catching up with me! 😱

It's always puzzled me that although classified as obese, it's all around my waist, my arms and legs are fine, whereas diabetic friends of mine with similar weight and height have horrendous legs like tree trunks as well as big tummys.
Maybe your legs and arms are thinner because of all the running you do Alan, must be more than any abdominal exercise.

It's always puzzled me that although classified as obese, it's all around my waist, my arms and legs are fine, whereas diabetic friends of mine with similar weight and height have horrendous legs like tree trunks as well as big tummys.
Maybe your legs and arms are thinner because of all the running you do Alan, must be more than any abdominal exercise.

There's probably a lot in that Vic. I've been running for over 30 years, so my legs are solid muscle (not hugely muscular of course, I'm a slow long-distance runner not a sprinter!). Plus, of course, you are swinging your arms about continuously as you run, so it's a bit like 'wax on, wax off' ? la Karate Kid 🙂

I'd never really thought much about how much you use your arms until I broke one of mine below the shoulder. I was in a cast for 12 weeks and all the muscle wasted away to the point where I could barely lift my arm. When I started back running I had to consciously move the arm back and forth - 'twas quite an effort! 😱

I don't know if it would help but do you swim? I used to find it hard to swim using my legs, the effort of swimming without using your legs puts quite a strain on your tummy muscles - might be worth a try.

I don't know if it would help but do you swim? I used to find it hard to swim using my legs, the effort of swimming without using your legs puts quite a strain on your tummy muscles - might be worth a try.

Haven't been swimming for 20 years - can't do with all that messing around getting to the pool and it's too expensive anyway. I used to quite enjoy it when I could go to the Uni pool just down the road, but where I am now I'd have to go all the way into town and it's not worth it for the two lengths I might be able to manage! 😱

I thought you lived near the sea:D Sorry😛

Oooer Vicsetter, I'd sink. No strength in my arms at all, ever - am a complete wimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back