how are diabetics going to cope with Xmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am a bit anxious about Xmas and how i am going to approach it with all the food coming my way. I don't want to have a miserable time and not have a treat or two, would you just have a very small amount of naughty things like chocolate, xmas pudding, alcohol etc? or would you just give them up altogether? up until now i have been very good since i was diagnosed in October, have lost weight etc and have my first diabetic review in Jan so this is my first xmas since becoming a diabetic and i am really nervous about how i will cope :(

I am a bit anxious about Xmas and how i am going to approach it with all the food coming my way. I don't want to have a miserable time and not have a treat or two, would you just have a very small amount of naughty things like chocolate, xmas pudding, alcohol etc? or would you just give them up altogether? up until now i have been very good since i was diagnosed in October, have lost weight etc and have my first diabetic review in Jan so this is my first xmas since becoming a diabetic and i am really nervous about how i will cope :(

It's only one day... Personally, I will be enjoying the day and a little bit of everything on offer. I might have a lot of everything on offer. Either way, one day off the wagon will cause only a temporary blip. Getting back on the wagon the next day will put you back on track. Enjoy!

Karina

It s the anxious time for us especially those whose its their 1st christmas cos we are all striving to be good D's...(the treads for this started back in October!!!) stress is important to avoid as we all Know it can cause havoc with our levels...so enjoy yourself...i do it in moderation..chocolate will be the finest dark 90% chocolate...last year our local choco shop gave me a few nuggets wrapped beautifully just for ME to savour and enjoy without guilt...wonderful dipped in sloe gin xxx

Relax and enjoy Christmas. I plan to have my treats as part of meals and I will be stocking up with fruit and vege and nuts so there is plenty to nibble. Raw carrotts and celery are quite filling, just dip them in choclate and you get the best of both...

I'm also hoping to get every body active with walks. In the summer I bought some hoola hoops, if it is not too cold we can go out into the garden and paly with them and have a kick around with a ball.

If you can have a very small amount of the goodies and be satisfied then I would definitely go for it - my GP told me last year when I confessed that I hadn't been too good over Xmas "That's what Christmas is for - just tyr to get back on track now". I did struggle a bit to get back on track tho as I'd reminded myself what things tasted like😡

I've made recipes from Everyday Diabetic Cookbook that are very good - my husband (non diabetic, very sweet tooth loves the mincemeat recipe in it and I tested it out on my friends who all then took the recipe home with them and made it as it wasn't "claggy". Use it in a little filo pastry and a "naughty but nice" treat appears that, if small enough, is just about the same calories and carbs as an Alpen lite bar.

You might find that your tastes have changed too and that the sweet treats are just too much for you so easier than anticipated to resist

I will confess that I have arranged to have my blood taken tomorrow for my HbA1c - I know it measures the average over 3 months. Just didn't want Christmas effect to add to a more poorly managed period than I normally achieve what with a heavy cold, dental abscess, two flu jabs, holiday and kitchen being decorated all giving me excuses to ease up a little!

hi there i was diagnosed in november 2000 and so didnt have anything nice that christmas my dsn told me off when i told her since then i have whatever i want in {small portions} as it only one day and i start being good again on boxing day hope you have a good christmas :D

For me I will be eating whatever everyone else is, but I do have the ability to use insulin to cover whatever I eat. Those not on insulin it's going to be more tricky, but I would suggest having a some treats and having a bit of everything that you want but not going too mad. Although it's only one day and that one day of high levels isn't going to affect overall control, we don't want to be going so high that it makes us feel really unwell.

Good point!!!

Although it's only one day and that one day of high levels isn't going to affect overall control, we don't want to be going so high that it makes us feel really unwell.

Ooer, I didn't think of that - mind you, being recently diagnosed as a result of recurring infection (and not as a result of hypo or hyper symptoms), I'm not sure if I've ever had a high that has made me unwell and wouldn't know what to look out for. My diet was shocking, and a night in in front of the tele would probably include a large bag or box of maltesers and/or a bag of sweet popcorn!😱 Could someone please tell me what signs/symptoms to look out for?

Granted, I have no intentions of repeating my shocking diet of old but since I've been doing resonably well with reducing my bg I guess a touch of over indulgence could cause a sudden swing which could have consequences?

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Karina

Im not going to worry i have decided to have everything but a pudding, i will have the usual traditional lunch with pomegranite juice to accompany, i will have 1 glass of bucks fizz to afterwards. other half told son we were not having yule log this xmas i said its fine dont stop him having any but dont let me get at it.If i spend my time worrying about it then im letting it rule me and thats something i wont let D do to me x

Stock up on veg, potatoes, milk and beer (milk can be skipped, although I like some on my porridge!).

Close the door, bring in plenty of logs to dry inside around the log burner, choose if you're using the central heating or the log burner, generate the heat, drink the fluids and eat the freezer ready to cook in bulk again when it's empty to restock it!

Only go out to take Bruce for a walk :D

How I lead such a social lifestyle I really don't know.

Yours, Billy no mates.

Oh, essentially, for me I don't change anything from my normal regime. It is possible to decline mince pies, cake and perhaps just have a 'few' nuts or some fruit when visiting.

All these things people do in batter and pastry are full of fat and carbs. If your friends care about you they won't be too worried you're not eating their snacks, more for them, that's all they care about and of course your wit and charm :D

Enjoy and don't let it be a cloud following you everywhere.

I'm going to enjoy my 66th Christmas and just hope that I get a lot more!:D

I just eat a bit of everything I would have before I was diabetic but in small amounts.

Most Christmas food can be enjoyed as long as it's done in moderation.

I'm sure we have as much right to enjoy ourself's with a bit of indulgence over Christmas as anyone else.

Just enjoy yourself and don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back