How a new treatment for diabetes offers hope for millions (Closed Loop - podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Interesting discussion about closed loop systems now being made available to T1Ds in England, after NICE approval. Probably won't tell you anything new, but good to see this sort of discussion in mainstream media. I'd have a couple of gripes about one or two things that are said, but not enough to raise my blood pressure 🙂

Worth a listen, about 30 minutes 🙂

And again it’s an ‘artificial pancreas’.

Which it has been since medtronic first got the Veo to suspend insulin - after you were already low.

And even the snazziest hybrid closed loop is miles away from an artificial pancreas in my book 🙄

I suppose, “slightly cleverer insulin pump that still needs a lot of looking after” wasn’t really snappy enough :rofl:

Last edited:
The press do like their miracle cures, don't they? Let me know when their is a insulin pump that lets me eat as many cadburys creme eggs as i can stuff down my gullet. Craving a creme egg today....

The press do like their miracle cures, don't they? Let me know when their is a insulin pump that lets me eat as many cadburys creme eggs as i can stuff down my gullet. Craving a creme egg today....
Having listened to the whole thing I thought it was pretty good. They did use "artificial pancreas" a couple of times, but mostly they talked about closed loops (just mentioning that they were sometimes called artificial pancreas), and they were clear that this wasn't in any way a "cure", just something that promised to take some of the effort out of our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back