How 2,200 NHS staff were paid off... then re-hired months later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hundreds of managers have walked into new NHS jobs just weeks after pocketing huge redundancy payoffs.
At least 2,200 staff ? mostly bureaucrats ? have been re-employed by a trust after taking voluntary or compulsory redundancy since May 2010.
NHS managers who are made redundant receive one month?s pay for every year served, with the average payout since the general election standing at ?48,000.
Some staff receive hundreds of thousands of pounds.

The total amount spent on payoffs for the 2,200 re-hired staff is not known ? but it is expected to run into the tens of millions.
Astoundingly, Department of Health rules state that managers do not forfeit their redundancy payments if they wait four weeks before taking another NHS job.
Now the Government has admitted that the revolving door for hospital managers is in full swing even as the Health Service rations operations such as hip replacements and cataract surgery to save money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...taxpayer-tens-millions.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Where's the 'Speechless' emoticon when a gal needs it?

Unbelievable !

Bear in mind who has published this shocking tale. I'd be very surprised if it's the way they portray it. :(

The NHS is not one single organisation. It's not unusual for one Trust to make a post redundant while another (separately funded) Trust is recruiting for a similar job.

2,200 LeeLee Its not just 20/30 people & hundreds of thousands of ?. I dont like newspapers but if thats wrong someone NEEDS to loose there job 🙄

I'm not defending it, merely explaining how it can happen, without any particular Trust being responsible (and therefore no one person to sack).

Also bear in mind that a one month gap between NHS jobs means that the individual who has lost his job loses continuity of service and therefore loses any potential future entitlement to redundancy. Many new jobs are on a short term contract basis, which may or may not be extended - so job security is lost forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back