Hot weather

Paul Minor

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes. I can control my blood levels to between 4 mmol/L and 8 mmol/L normally by diet. During this hot spell I have been doing manual jobs in the garden in the sun. My diet has not changed but blood levels have shot up yp 12+ mmol/L and 16+ mmol/L
Just need to know if this is normal

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Be unusual for heat from the sun to increase a BG, I think, but 'intense activity' certainly can and does - I'm no expert in the field of activity generally though, hence don't know what if anything you need to do. How long have you been treating your D via diet and exercise alone - and, do you not usually do much exercise?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The last couple of days when I have been gardening in this heat mine have been going up but not that high. Normally garden has the opposite effect on mine.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I would generally expect to be fighting off hypos if gardening in the sunshine myself!
It was unusual for me , not dramatically high but higher than before I went out. I was doing quite strenuous stuff too, I was planting out plants, in ground that was more like concrete than soil. I don't know if it was because it was a new sensor.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Holes in the ozone layer getting mended? Less traffic and factory pollution everywhere? God knows!

Dave W

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That's quite unusal Paul. Heat tends to increase insulin sensitivity and lower blood glucose levels. Exercise also has the same effect. When we are on holiday in a hot country I have to lower my usual insulin doses or else risk hypos and also when I'm engaged on physical exercise such as gardening I have to check my BG frequently and take in extra carbs to avoid hypos.