Hospitals to boot out sugary drinks (NZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A spoonful of sugar does not help the medicine go down, according to the Northland District Health Board's new drinks policy.

This month the DHB approved a policy to remove all sugar-sweetened beverages from hospital cafeterias and vending machines as of October.

Northland DHB diabetes dietician Virjean Primeau has welcomed the change and said it's time the Northland DHB practises what it preaches by not selling sugary drinks on-site.

"From my perspective, eliminating sugary drinks is a real positive step in the right direction. People need to drink more water and milk. We're rapt and I'm sure the dental health team is going to be as well," Ms Primeau said.

The policy has been in the pipeline a long time, she said. "It existed when I started here eight years ago but nothing was ever done. It's extremely satisfying to see it finally coming to fruition."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=11315951

Whilst it's a good idea, there is a danger, which appears to be global, that sugary drinks are seen as the direct and only cause of Type 2 diabetes, which is a massive over-simplification 🙄

And I always thought that the conspiracy theory was that the large pharma companies had entered into an 'exceedingly good' diabolical scheme with Mr Kipling to push cakes on the unsuspecting public and create a type 2 epidemic.

😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back