Hospital no-shows cost NHS trust ?6 million in one year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Patients miss an average of 122 hospital appointments every day at Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust.

Data from NHS England revealed patients missed more than 44,000 outpatient appointments at the Trust in 2012/13, losing the hospital almost ?6 million.

The number of appointments missed has increased since 2008/09. In 2011/12 there were 101 missed appointments a day.

The average income the hospital receives for an outpatient appointment is ?136 and if an appointment is missed that money is not normally received.

Therefore the 44,000 missed outpatient appointments in 2012/13 lost the Trust approximately ?5,984,000.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/health/hospital-no-shows-cost-nhs-trust-6554115

I'd probably miss quite a few if I had 122 appointments a day! 😱 😉

There was a notice posted in my Gp practice the other day that stated over 72 hours of missed appointments were recorded for the month of December.
I find that appalling.
So for a normal person's work hours that meant 2 whole weeks of surgery time was wasted. 😡
I have used normal as GP's work many more hours than 35 a week.

There was a notice posted in my Gp practice the other day that stated over 72 hours of missed appointments were recorded for the month of December.
I find that appalling.
So for a normal person's work hours that meant 2 whole weeks of surgery time was wasted. 😡
I have used normal as GP's work many more hours than 35 a week.

They used to put up a sign in my surgery stating the number of appointments missed per month. However, there was some research done that concluded that it made people MORE likely to miss appointments because so many others were doing it! 😱

There should be some sort of penalty if an appointment is missed for no good reason. My dentist charges ?25 if you don't cancel at least 24 hours beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back