Hospital meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Moderator Note: These new posts were split away from a lengthy and quite ‘off at many tangents’ thread - https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/board...nd-very-low-carb-members.104469/#post-1233910
Well you could have refused the meal.
This works wonders I can assure you, as an alternative does then appear on the scene 🙂
Not always when i worked as a nurse . We had toast as sister brought loaves of bread in . Many otherwise would not have eaten post surgery . A patient brought in honey his bees produced. It was wonderful. The patients had a feast then, No thought if providing a liw carb diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do miss this
I eat under 40 gm of carb a day, but it comes from low carb veges, mushrooms and berries and that equals quite a bit of stuff to eat because the carb content is well below the 10% limit I set myself.
In the fairly recent past there have been times when I did not have anything but eggs, cheese, meat or fish to eat, I think the longest I did without fresh veges or fruit was three days, but I really did not feel any different having no carbs at all.

I eat under 40 gm of carb a day, but it comes from low carb veges, mushrooms and berries and that equals quite a bit of stuff to eat because the carb content is well below the 10% limit I set myself.
In the fairly recent past there have been times when I did not have anything but eggs, cheese, meat or fish to eat, I think the longest I did without fresh veges or fruit was three days, but I really did not feel any different having no carbs at all.
Any ideas how I can get a vinegar fix thanks . I loved beetroot and yes well s and v crisps but I realise they are not ever going to be on the menu . Celeriac has too much off its own taste. For celeriac and vinegar chips.

Any ideas how I can get a vinegar fix thanks . I loved beetroot and yes well s and v crisps but I realise they are not ever going to be on the menu . Celeriac has too much off its own taste. For celeriac and vinegar chips. l
Loved? Beetroot is surprisingly low in carbs, drained pickled beetroot is around 4 - 5g carb per 100g.

Loved? Beetroot is surprisingly low in carbs, drained pickled beetroot is around 4 - 5g carb per 100g.
Yes, I get that however drained, but he has the beetroot I drank the vinegar. I love Tesco's sweetfire too but thats
Carbohydrate20.2g per 100g16.2g per portion
Sugars19.7g

I eat loads of pickled beetroot and gherkins straight from the jar with no impact on my levels. Indeed vinegar seems to have a beneficial impact on my levels..

I also use the beetroot pickling juice in drinks again with no problem despite there being sugar added during the pickling process.
I would however encourage you to eat some of the beetroot too as there are benefits in the fibre and micro nutrients it contains.

I also use the beetroot pickling juice in drinks again with no problem despite there being sugar added during the pickling process.
I would however encourage you to eat some of the beetroot too as there are benefits in the fibre and micro nutrients it contains.
On the app diet I follow its in the amber section similar to carrots so as I am overweight I had been trying to keep in the green section. But I may have more of it . However my sugar levels seem to be going up not down at the moment . Still below 10 but not in the 5s no more.

I have used cooked beetroot to make icecream - it is sweet, and peas with salt to make a 'peanut' flavoured frozen dessert.
My limit for selection is 10% carbs, except for chocolate, but I don't eat that regularly and not much at a time.
I use olive oil and vinegar as salad dressing.

In a short hospital stay, I told them I was Type 2 following a reduced carb eating plan. This is what I got served up with:

B: Sugary cereal in a box, full fat milk, a roll with butter and a jam sachet
L: Pre-packed white cheese salad sandwich, banana
D: A very nice chicken casserole in a tomato and onion sauce, plus 4 large boiled potatoes, steamed pudding and custard.

When I reminded them I was low carb, I was told that was what the previous patient in the bed had ordered for me, and there was no alternative. Thank goodness I was then discharged!
What did you order for the next patient in that bed

It is normally super low. But check packaging if not brought fresh from the market. We accidentally came home with a pack that had a lot of sugar added and was 13 or 15% (can't remember which). I've drifted into a low sugar world (I didn't have to, I can compensate with insulin) and noticed with the first mouthful that the beetroot tasted sweet.

It's said, don't know if true or not that beet juice is supposed to help lower bp, you can buy cartons of it in likes of tesco morrisons.

Love beetroot, can eat it straight from jar, salad isn't a salad without beetroot added.

Who needs salad @nonethewiser when you have a jar of beetroot and a fork - love the stuff.... :D

Are you OK with pickled eggs?

Beetroot & feta.
I am really fussy with eggs . like them hot not cold . ie I used to eat egg on toast , I tried halloumi but for the salty taste .. so not again. I am really fed up with omelette, Frittata, oven quiche no crust . Off course ill try them again soon . Scrambled boiled coddled you name it Im egged. But not cold.
Other diets id have vinegar on green beans

Other diets id have vinegar on green beans
Green beans: low carb. Vinegar (except maybe balsamic): low carb.
So why deprive yourself of something you like which will be fine???

Adapt the given diet so it works for you.

Green beans: low carb. Vinegar (except maybe balsamic): low carb.
So why deprive yourself of something you like which will be fine???

Adapt the given diet so it works for you.
I shall experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back